Author Topic: 8000 miles to Homebrewcon - Can anyone bring some Zombie Dust / Heady / Julius?  (Read 767 times)

Offline hopsauce

• 1st Kit
Hi all,

I am absolutely fizzed to be heading to homebrew con for the first time! A mate and I will be making the pilgrimage from the south island of New Zealand (hence the 8000 miles of flying) and after years of listening to podcasts and reading blogs about it, we're finally going to be experiencing first hand.

Alongside homebrew con, we're wanting to experience as much great American commercial beer as we can. I've travelled to the states a couple of times before (6 and 10 years ago), but not with the same beer obsession I have now. Some american beers do make it to NZ, but outside of those intended for aging, I don't really trust the examples we get.

We're beyond excited about the Portland beers we'll experience, but we also have 3 beers on our wishlist that i'm hoping someone might be able to share with us. They are:

- Three Floyds Zombie Dust
- The Alchemist Head Topper
- Treehouse Julius

I know these won't be available in Oregon and due to life/families we've got 6 days on the ground in Portland before flying 8000 miles home.

In return, all I can offer is beer (or something else?) from New Zealand. I'm not sure what people will be interested in, but a few ideas might be:

- New Zealand Pilsner examples - A style Gordon Strong is a fan of, has been featured in BYO magazine
- Anything from Garage Project - NZ's current champion brewery with a huge range of eclectic beers
- Behemoth's Dump the trump - This one has got some press lately because a few pro trumpers are upset....
- Epic Pale Ale or 8wired iStout - Both on Can you brew it
- Award winning examples of styles from NZ

Thanks for taking the time to read this and i'd love to hear from anyone who might be able to help us!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:57:46 AM by hopsauce »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
I wish I could help, but I only live a couple of hundred miles from Portland.  I will however say how glad I am that you are making the journey and I hope it is a great time for you... and I hope to see you there!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
I can’t help with the beers you listed. The Kickoff Party will have some really nice hoppy beers from the Pacific Northwest that don’t get the hype. Breakside won the GABF IPA Gold a few years back, as an example. Do some research from this list, and you can sample some good ones.
https://www.homebrewcon.org/activities/craft-beer-kickoff-party/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!