Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial A18 Joystick  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Dodgerro

• 1st Kit
Imperial A18 Joystick
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:53:06 pm »
I'm brewing a Northern English Brown tomorrow. All going according to plan it should end up at 6.6% ABV. I'm going to use Imperial Yeast A18 Joystick. Have you used this yeast and do you think it's suitable? Here's the grain bill: https://tinyurl.com/y8jhm9fp
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:55:11 pm by Dodgerro »

Offline cmb4642

• 1st Kit
Re: Imperial A18 Joystick
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:21:13 pm »
Not sure this is an English stain and may not provide ester character your looking for this beer. Will still make a tasty beverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God invented to MLT/BK to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Offline cmb4642

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:23:08 pm »
That’s also a metric crap ton of specialty malts in your beverage. Almost 50% of your base malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God invented to MLT/BK to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Offline Dodgerro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 09:05:11 pm »
That’s also a metric crap ton of specialty malts in your beverage. Almost 50% of your base malt.

Agreed. It's variation of the 2011 National Homebrew competition "English Brown Ale" winner. I haven't changed the balance of grains a great deal. Just changed a couple of the smaller additions to comparative grains (what was available in my LHBS) So I'm hoping the judges were right. I'm thinking it should be yummy!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 05:53:03 am »
Joystick is Rogue's "Pacman" yeast.  It may well have started as an English strain, but it's mutated.  I'm not sure whether it's from the way they cropped it or used it etc, but it eventually became a quick fermenting, highly attenuated strain.  It's probably very "clean" in the ester department.  If you have access to Imperial they have a couple that might be better for that style.  Pub is Fullers yeast and House is Whitbread.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:26:33 pm »
Joystick is Rogue's "Pacman" yeast.  It may well have started as an English strain, but it's mutated.  I'm not sure whether it's from the way they cropped it or used it etc, but it eventually became a quick fermenting, highly attenuated strain.  It's probably very "clean" in the ester department.  If you have access to Imperial they have a couple that might be better for that style.  Pub is Fullers yeast and House is Whitbread.
It's very clean. I brewed a pilsner with it at 72f and scored in the mid 30s as a German pilsner.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women