Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial napoleon  (Read 2043 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Imperial napoleon
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:57:22 am »
I made a beer with this strain Friday. Pitched at 74.5* and the temp rose to 76* on its own. Fermentation took off like a rocket and is slowing down already, I put a half# of Candi sugar in yesterday during high flocculation.  The current temp is 72.3* and the beer is still chugging along with a lot less flocculation.
If this strain is like 3711 should I raise the temp to ensure that the beer finishes? The temp threshold says 65-78*.
I was thinking of raising the temp to 80 over the next few days, is this a no no? I have cranked up 3711 to 85 before.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Imperial napoleon
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:10:05 am »
Try open fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:52 am »
Try open fermentation.
Just empty the airlock and keep it going ?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:33:41 am »
I made a beer with this strain Friday. Pitched at 74.5* and the temp rose to 76* on its own. Fermentation took off like a rocket and is slowing down already, I put a half# of Candi sugar in yesterday during high flocculation.  The current temp is 72.3* and the beer is still chugging along with a lot less flocculation.
If this strain is like 3711 should I raise the temp to ensure that the beer finishes? The temp threshold says 65-78*.
I was thinking of raising the temp to 80 over the next few days, is this a no no? I have cranked up 3711 to 85 before.
I don’t know about this yeast, but you may be using the word “flocculation” when you really mean “kraeusen.”
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:11:40 am »
I don’t know about this yeast, but you may be using the word “flocculation” when you really mean “kraeusen.”

No I’m not. The yeast is flocculating in the carboy, moving randomly. The Kraeusen formed, some blew off, it receded and I poured in more candi sugar when the yeast was still very actively flocculating in the carboy. The yeast is falling out of suspension now.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 11:37:26 am »

No I’m not. The yeast is flocculating in the carboy, moving randomly. The Kraeusen formed, some blew off, it receded and I poured in more candi sugar when the yeast was still very actively flocculating in the carboy. The yeast is falling out of suspension now.
No offense really, but “falling out of suspension” is another phrase that means flocculation.  The part you refer to as flocculating is just active fermentation.  Another synonym would be sedimentation, the act of clumping together and dropping to the bottom.
Back to the issue at hand, have you checked the gravity yet?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 11:50:43 am »

No offense really, but “falling out of suspension” is another phrase that means flocculation.  The part you refer to as flocculating is just active fermentation.  Another synonym would be sedimentation, the act of clumping together and dropping to the bottom.
Back to the issue at hand, have you checked the gravity yet?

No i haven’t checked gravity. It’s still active just not as active. That’s why I was curious about raising the temp the way i have with 3711.