Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watermelon beer  (Read 1270 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Watermelon beer
« on: June 17, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »
So I was recently gifted 4 watermelons that I wanted to use in a beer. My idea was to use 2 in the boil and 2 on secondary.  I'm thinking an ipa/pale ale or hoppy wheat. I have heard that el Dorado hops are good with watermelons are there any other hops that play well with watermelon?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Watermelon beer
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:54:50 am »
So I was recently gifted 4 watermelons that I wanted to use in a beer. My idea was to use 2 in the boil and 2 on secondary.  I'm thinking an ipa/pale ale or hoppy wheat. I have heard that el Dorado hops are good with watermelons are there any other hops that play well with watermelon?
Maybe Huell Melon hops if you can get any.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:11:56 am »
Here’s one with Columbus and Magnum:

http://21st-amendment.com/beers/hell-or-high-watermelon/

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:53:57 pm »
thanks
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:04:29 am »
I happen to have a watermelon cider and a german pils dry hopped with Huell Melon on right now. I think the HM would be very complimentary with the watermelon but it just depends on what kind of beer you brew. El Dorado will be significantly more powerful so I would use that if you are going for IPA. If you do the wheat I would go with the huell or you could go with both at a 2:1 hm to el dorado
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:47:25 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale