Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burner preference  (Read 3748 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Burner preference
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 10:05:42 pm »
It sure looked like it had a nice clean flame, just not very high. I have had problems with the high flow tripping or whatever. So I know what to look for with that, might need to clean it out though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline cmb4642

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 10:37:17 pm »
Have a Blichmann with leg extensions pre hellfire, quality it top notch and is blistering hot. Highly recommended. Anvil looks like same burner with cheaper non SS support structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God invented to MLT/BK to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 02:52:34 am »
More good info, thanx cmb

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 06:11:43 am »
I use the Edelmetal burner.  The frame is super sturdy and keeps the kettle from slipping.  In other words, the frame keeps the kettle centered above the 72,000 BTU propane burner.  Important point to mention: I use my burner indoors, in my basement.  I have a carbon dioxide detector within a few feet of my boil station and an inexpensive vent above my kettle.  So, I have never experienced any issues.  When adjusted properly, the flame is as clean as a burner on your natural gas stove.  Plus, I can bring 11 gallons from about 120-130 degrees to a rolling boil in about 20-25 minutes.

When I bought mine it was about $150.  I can see now it’s up to about $165.  Still a good deal.  The only drawback I found is that it cannot be converted to Natural Gas.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:14:04 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 09:38:59 am »
I used to use (and still have) the ‘Blingman’ Top Tier. It is a very nice burner but I moved to Induction inside (which I cannot recommend more).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 12:48:12 pm »
What size batches are you doing indoors with induction? I don not do many 10gallon batches, but I do some. That's the cause for wanting a better burner. I like the idea of indoor brewing but induction unit capable of 10gallon batches sounds awfully spendy, more so than a burner upgrade.

Frank L.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 02:18:17 pm »
I boil 7 gal wort on a 3500w Induction cooktop (5 gal batches). However, once the boil starts I throttle it down to 2400w for an easy simmer. It has absolutely no trouble getting 170*F wort to boil fairly quickly with two wraps of insulation but it may struggle to get a 10 gal batch to boil. I don’t know. Maybe someone doing 10 gal batches on induction can chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 07:30:30 pm »
Thanx brewbama. I think for now, I am still looking at propane outdoors, but do see induction in the future. Likely buying the Hellfire locally with a club membership discount to save a couple bucks even over the 4-6 online sources I priced it out at. They are all tied into Blichmann's MAP so the local discount offsets local taxes essentially and I can support local

Frank L.

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 01:40:19 pm »

IMO- Dont waste your money on an expensive burner.  I've been using a basic propane burner I got with an "el cheapo" Bayou Classic Turkey fryer kit 15 years ago.  I've made over 2000 gallons of beer on this thing.  Routinely making 20 gallon batches with it on a 25 gallon pot.  Majority of basic burners are limited by the regulator - mine is a 10 psi and I can heat 15 gallons of sparge water in about 20 minutes. From what I have been able to determine a 20psi regulator will get you ~160,000 BTUs on the burner in the attached link.

See the note from Bayou Classic below concerning "High Pressure Cast Iron Propane Burner" - i.e. the cheap basic burner.

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/collections/bayou-classic-propane-cast-iron-burners/products/bayou-classic-replacement-burner-part-bg10

Many people have asked us for a BTU for this cast iron propane burner. The actual cast iron element (burner) does not determine the BTUs. The regulator determines the BTUs. You can use the 10 PSI, 20 PSI, 30 PSI and 40 PSI regulator kit with it.

Save your money.  Buy nice fermenters instead.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 02:57:52 pm »
That's potentially a strong contender. It is not the burner my Bayou classic came with though.

Frank L.