Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Five Star acid wash #5  (Read 4687 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Five Star acid wash #5
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:49:17 am »
I've got a jug of this to try.  All the instructions talk about it working great on stainless steel of course.  Mostly in a re-circulation mode.  The only way I could do that is with my march pump and silicon tubing. 

Will it be ok on those non-stainless surfaces?  I would certainly rinse well as soon as complete.  I sent a note to Five Star yesterday, but thought I would post here as well. 

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Five Star acid wash #5
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:33 am »
There are surfaces that it will pit or etch. The instructions are really focused on commercial brewery applications. It can easily be pumped through silicon and seems to be ok with both the steel and plastic march pump heads. You might ask the guys at marchpump.com about it - I am assuming it is fine.

I would NOT let this sit and soak overnight. In fact, I use this regularly with my RIMS system. You only need a few gallons, just enough to be able to pump the minimal volume. Make sure to evacuate any CO2 (say in a fermenter or corny keg) before hand. I add a few ml of Star San for the surfactant. Run it for 20 minutes then let sit (foam will cling to the surfaces helping to distribute the acid) for about 15 minutes. A cold rinse for the same time after. Drain and air dry. Some bicarbonate in the rinse water will make rinsing more effective, but require an additional rinse. It is particularly effective after a PBW soak and light scrubbing, and will passivate stainless. If you have beerstone, run the acid first, rinse, then PBW soak. You will be amazed at what comes off a kettle or fermenter. Rinse well and sanitize with Star San or Sani-Clean.

A couple of comments: Of course, wear rubber gloves when handling and I suggest safety glasses. A little splash will burn on skin - keep some clean cold water close to rinse thoroughly. It will also etch concrete - so dispose in an area where you can let it burn the grass or soil. Make sure to rinse anything it contacts very well. We have fire ants - so they get the spent solution. You can also dilute it further and dispose in sewer. A few gallons of solution in a toilet shouldn't cause problems if just occasional.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:18:33 am »
I have a 1bbl system with a Blichmann tower of power.  I think I'll give this a shot this weekend. 

(and thanks for the safety advice)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 04:18:31 pm »
I only use this stuff for short contact time and only on stainless. It's got enough warning labels on it for me not to stray too far from the recommended usage. :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Five Star acid wash #5
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:08:54 pm »
It will work just fine. No need to evacuate CO2 with acid.

I use more acid cleaner 6 but I use 5 from time to time. Read MSDS and tips sheet.

It is not too aggressive to my opinion. Wear glows when working with any concentrated chemicals. Also glasses are recommended.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 05:20:46 am »
There are surfaces that it will pit or etch. The instructions are really focused on commercial brewery applications. It can easily be pumped through silicon and seems to be ok with both the steel and plastic march pump heads. You might ask the guys at marchpump.com about it - I am assuming it is fine.

I would NOT let this sit and soak overnight. In fact, I use this regularly with my RIMS system. You only need a few gallons, just enough to be able to pump the minimal volume. Make sure to evacuate any CO2 (say in a fermenter or corny keg) before hand. I add a few ml of Star San for the surfactant. Run it for 20 minutes then let sit (foam will cling to the surfaces helping to distribute the acid) for about 15 minutes. A cold rinse for the same time after. Drain and air dry. Some bicarbonate in the rinse water will make rinsing more effective, but require an additional rinse. It is particularly effective after a PBW soak and light scrubbing, and will passivate stainless. If you have beerstone, run the acid first, rinse, then PBW soak. You will be amazed at what comes off a kettle or fermenter. Rinse well and sanitize with Star San or Sani-Clean.

A couple of comments: Of course, wear rubber gloves when handling and I suggest safety glasses. A little splash will burn on skin - keep some clean cold water close to rinse thoroughly. It will also etch concrete - so dispose in an area where you can let it burn the grass or soil. Make sure to rinse anything it contacts very well. We have fire ants - so they get the spent solution. You can also dilute it further and dispose in sewer. A few gallons of solution in a toilet shouldn't cause problems if just occasional.

I don't use Acid #5 but do use an acid wash for cleaning. We purge all co2 out of any tank when cleaning with caustic wash but the acid I use is safe for using in presence of co2.

In our application, we acid wash after every caustic cleaning. Acid will not take off organic matter very well and is more suitable for taking off inorganic matter.

For our Bright tanks we clean almost exclusively with acid after a hot rinse. We often often clean under pressure so as not to have to re-purge the tank with co2. And we clean these tanks exclusively with acid in co2.

Offline ubermick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:56:55 pm »

So planning on adding Acid #5 to my conical cleaning regimen - strong hot PBW cycle, followed by a hot burst rinse, followed by the Acid #5 cycle (2oz in 5 gallons?) - and wanted to get the safety nailed down. Obviously gloves and eye protection are a must, but different acids react with different gloves. I've seen gloves that are fine with sulphuric acid burst into flames when they come into contact with nitric acid. There seems to be conflicting information on what the best ones to use are - I've seen some people say that nitrile safety gloves (obviously not the thin disposable shop gloves!) are ideal, I've seen others that say OMG ANYTHING BUT THOSE, YOU WANT NEOPRENE.

What gloves are people using?