Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steeping Temp  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Honyok

• 1st Kit
Steeping Temp
« on: June 20, 2018, 12:09:30 pm »
I had understood that 20 minutes is always the MAX steeping time due to tannin issues happening beyond the 20 mark.  However, the more I pursue boards, the more I see 20 - 30 minutes.  Any insight as to the difference and impact (if any) of going beyond 20 minutes?  Thanks.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Steeping Temp
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:34:46 pm »
Time has nothing to do with tannin extraction.  pH is the factor of concern.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Honyok

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 05:32:02 pm »
Thanks.   I appreciate your reply. So, I can ignore when it says not to go past 20 minutes. Would 30 be my new, safe number for steeping? Is there a general time-limit for steeping?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:14 pm »
Agree.  pH is the issue of concern here.  Steep for 20 minutes, an hour, 2 hours.  It will be fine, unless pH isn't. 

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:19 pm »
What JT and Denny have said above

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 08:42:16 am »
Thanks.   I appreciate your reply. So, I can ignore when it says not to go past 20 minutes. Would 30 be my new, safe number for steeping? Is there a general time-limit for steeping?

Sure...30, 40, 60.....it realkky makes no difference

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:44:26 am »
When I was on extract brewing I would make a small pot of water for like 3lbs of specialty grains and make a tea that I would pour into my 5gallons of extract. For the flavor and color. I never had a tannin issue, and I would step my grains for an entire hour. That helped me understand the mashing process when I was first starting out.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Honyok

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:52 am »
Gents, thank you.  Is there a particular benefit to steeping for longer?  Do you end up with more body and 'schmock' in the finished product?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:32:05 pm »
Gents, thank you.  Is there a particular benefit to steeping for longer?  Do you end up with more body and 'schmock' in the finished product?

Maybe, but no guarantee.  You'll have to decide that for yourself.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »

If you steep for longer, and you add a pound or more of base grains, you've basically got a mini-mash going on.

So, one benefit of steeping longer is you start to learn how to mash.  And that could improve your beer.

But it depends on what you want to get out of it.  Steeping for 20 minutes probably gets you the color and flavor if that's your goal.  Going longer has no harm (pH aside).  But it may also increase the length of your brew day.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 08:32:17 am »
When I brew extract, I put my steeping grains in when I start to heat up my water and pull them at about 160F. It's simple and it works.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 11:55:01 am »
What is the yellow/red line for pH?  5.8? 6.0?  Just curious.  Also, why?  What is going on at that particular pH level that causes tannin extraction?  Is there something I should read to learn more about this?
Keep It Simple, Stupid!