Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 3497 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: What to do?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 11:22:47 am »
How old is the beer?  It's possible it may just need a little time to mature.  I've found that honey flavors can take a while to come out, especially if the honey was part of the primary fermentation.  I made a honey brown ale a couple years back.  After bottling I gave it a few weeks to carbonate.  I tried one and was greatly disappointed in the boring brown ale I created.  I forgot about it for a while and a couple months later tried it again.  I was surprised to find how much the honey flavor was coming out.

Although aging obviously won't help with the over carbonation.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 05:07:53 pm »
Although aging obviously won't help with the over carbonation.

Not so sure about that, I have a bottle conditioned Scottish ale that was WAY over carbonated, and not so tasty last November, I resisted the urge to dump it and now not only does it taste better, but carbonation has also subsided.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 10:13:05 am »
Not so sure about that, I have a bottle conditioned Scottish ale that was WAY over carbonated, and not so tasty last November, I resisted the urge to dump it and now not only does it taste better, but carbonation has also subsided.

That's interesting.  I've had over carbonated bottles myself, but don't recall seeing it subside.  Not enough for me to notice anyway.  I'm not sure if you're able to tell, but does it seem like pressure in the bottles has been lost?  Or if the aging of the beer has just made it more efficient at dispersing carbonation when it's poured?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:08 pm »
distill it.

illegal

Not if you have a TTB license to distill fuel ethanol.  Easy and cheap to obtain.  The still... that's another issue.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline cmb4642

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 08:14:34 am »
distill it.

illegal
We’re lucky. In MIssouri it is not. On the federal level it still remains illegal, sort of like the other thing certain, more enlightened states have legalized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God invented to MLT/BK to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.