Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Porter Recipe  (Read 1453 times)

Offline silveiraedgar

• 1st Kit
Porter Recipe
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:46 pm »
Hi guys,

I’m trying to formulate my first Porter, and I would like some opinions on that. I pretend to brew this recipe sometime next week.

Cheers

Edgar

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Porter Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 04:00:42 pm »
Hi guys,

I’m trying to formulate my first Porter, and I would like some opinions on that. I pretend to brew this recipe sometime next week.

Cheers

Edgar

I'd say either get rid of or cut back on the aromatic.  I'd also recommend that all your flavorings (raspberries, nibs, vanilla bean) go in post primary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline silveiraedgar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 05:07:38 pm »
Hi guys,

Cheers

Edgar

I'd say either get rid of or cut back on the aromatic.  I'd also recommend that all your flavorings (raspberries, nibs, vanilla bean) go in post primary.

So, i removed all the aromatic, and maintained the OG with pale malt.

About the flavourings, everything is going post primary, except the raspberry that should enter on the last couple of days of the primary. Just so the yeasts souls attenuate it with a more vitality and cell suspension.

Thanks for the tip, mate.

Cheers

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk Pro

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:38:06 am »
Nothing personal, but this does not look like a Porter recipe to me at all.  Porters are actually a very simple blend of a base malt (I like Maris otter) and some Brown Malt some Caramel Malt (I like caramel 60L) and some Chocolate Malt.  Further, my opinion is you’re using way too many added flavorings.  There’s nothing wrong with adding flavorings to a Porter.  But the vanilla, chocolate and raspberry is over the top.

I like to add vanilla to my Porters.  However, I add 5 beans to the secondary.  That said, if you use too much Brown malt the roasted flavor of the Brown Malt will hide the flavor of the vanilla.  I also recommend using a very high quality vanilla bean; don’t go cheep with this ingredient.  It won’t pay.

Porters happen to be one of my favorite brews.  If you enjoy a good Porter, I highly recommend reading the book titled: Porters and Stouts, by Terry Foster.  Great book, lots of valuable information related to your recipe.

Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 12:47:00 pm »
Another person to read for information on Porter is Ron Pattinson. Ron has been trudging around England for decades scouring municipal record archives for brewing records and has probably put together the most accurate picture of how early English beer was made. http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/search/label/Porter

KellerBrauer is right, Porters use a fairly simple grist. Remember, Porter was a drink for the common folk and was brewed in ENORMOUS quantities so they were not overly complex. We can modernize them with the odd flavoring now and again but I would only use one at a time. Make one vanilla porter, a second chocolate porter and a third raspberry porter. Those sound much tastier than combining all three into one.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline silveiraedgar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 05:04:12 pm »
Hi guys,

I read Terry Foster’s book and reduced the grist to Pale, Crystal (dark shade) and chocolate malts.

However, I tried to brew the first recipe, and it gone bad. The cacao nibs clogged my spigot inside the pot. I believe they were to light to add loose on the boil.

I’m gonna try another batch this week. Thank you for all the help.

I’ll come back with some update.

Cheers

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk Pro

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:27:47 am »
You typically add cocoa nibs in the fermenter after fermentation is complete. Some add them in the primary while others in a secondary. I could be wrong but I've never heard of adding them during the boil.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:34:22 am by Kevin »
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato