Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pale malt difference  (Read 11884 times)

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
pale malt difference
« on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:02 pm »
I'm brewing a recipe that calls for two different brands of pale malt (9 lbs. of Maris Otter and 4 lbs. of Briess). Will I really notice the difference if I just use 11 lbs of the same kind? Not sure if my supply store carries Maris Otter.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Re: pale malt difference
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 04:50:52 pm »
I'm brewing a recipe that calls for two different brands of pale malt (9 lbs. of Maris Otter and 4 lbs. of Briess). Will I really notice the difference if I just use 11 lbs of the same kind? Not sure if my supply store carries Maris Otter.

I use Maris a lot, it has a slightly different flavor than pale (i assume 2-row?), to me it is better, but is a matter of preference. Your supplier should carry it as it is a popular UK base malt.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:57:22 pm by David »
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:21:27 pm »
I would say if you went 100%, it would be much better to go 100% Maris, vs the Briess. Either wway will make beer, the blend will add some character that 100% of either will not. Probably fine either way though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:25:57 am »
I love Maris Otter to death. I use it as my only base malt all the time.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:29:09 am »
I would say if you went 100%, it would be much better to go 100% Maris, vs the Briess. Either wway will make beer, the blend will add some character that 100% of either will not. Probably fine either way though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:02:06 pm »
I think I'm kind of an oddball here.  MO is a great malt, but I don't care for it for American styles in general.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:17 pm »
I generally only use Maris Otter in English styles, but I used it once in a blend with US 2 row for a simple lager and it turned out remarkably well.  So, anymore, I don't know whether the boundaries are so clear...at least not with base malt uses. Crystals on the other hand - I don't use them all that much beyond a little Carahell in my German lagers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:21 pm »
I'm with Denny as well. 
I think a blend of the two would be best, maybe 50/50.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 09:36:22 am »
Maris Otter is typically a Pale Ale malt, while "pale" malt is typically a lighter-kilned 2-row malt. When used in a blend, you can usually pick out the flavor contributions of each ingredient. My "house" base malt is a 2:1 blend of Pilsner and Pale Ale malt, and I can definitely pick out the flavors from each of the two.

You can get away with using all MO for the recipe you have, but it won't be quite the same as the recipe as written.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 09:45:06 am »
There is a difference between the two.  I'm not a huge fan of either one.  I am leaning more and more towards continental pilsner malt as my base malt for most beers these days (love Swaen).  That or Great Western pale malt.

General recommendation to everyone:  The next shop you visit, crunch a few kernels of each base malt to figure out which ones you like the best.  You might be surprised at your conclusions.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:32:08 am »
This is a loaded question for sure.  You are going to get every answer under the sun.  All you can do is brew more often, brew the same recipe and then use each of the following base malts to determine which you like:
Briess 2 row
Rahr 2 row
GW 2 row
Almanac 2 row
Mecca Grade 2 row
GW California Select 2 row
briess pilsen
viking pale
etc.

Oh and then try all of the 6 row stuff. Then the rest of the small maltsters. I can't stand Rahr because I hate saying it.  "Rahr"  nope.  not feeling it. 

I have a feeling each of those, solo or in any combination will probably make good/great beer.  IMO if you are at the point where your choice of base malt is making or breaking your brews, you are in a good spot and the appropriate base malt will be apparent. I have switched between Briess, GW and Maris Otter depending on what was available.  Never really noticed a huge difference.  I never used MO for an american pale or IPA.  Now I think I will to see if I like it. I'm sure I will.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:54 pm »
I like Rahr. Partly because it's a local maltster, and partly because I've had good efficiencies. Sounds nice too.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 08:54:21 pm »
I like Rahr. Partly because it's a local maltster, and partly because I've had good efficiencies. Sounds nice too.
Rahr Standard 2-row has, of late, become my preferred base malt.  Briess never did it for me, thin, slightly sugary and grainy taste, poor performance.  (Though Briess is great for specialty malts.)  Rahr is nicely rich and malty, and performs exceedingly well. Just compare COAs,  Rahr is a great malt.  For a European Pilsner malt, Weyermann stands alone. Rahr is more fun to say than Weyermann or Briess, you can use it on Talk Like a Pirate Day.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:24:16 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 07:33:29 am »
In the last few months I have noticed Briess 2-row has become much more prominent and Rahr is a bit harder to find. I am not sure if that is just the stores I shop at or if Briess has actually gained market share.

I like Briess, Rahr, Malteurop, Great Western. I guess I am 2-row agnostic.

Last year, I started avoiding Briess because the malt looked skinny (not plump) and I was experiencing a noticeable drop in efficiency when using it. This year I went back to Briess when my preferred online shop didn’t have any other choice. Happily, the plumpness is much improved and I am no longer experiencing a lower efficiency.

I personally have never experienced graininess with Briess. I would instead describe it as a very clean base malt that gets out of the way so other malts can shine.

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 08:30:36 am »
Tommy,  interesting observation on Briess.  When I said "poor" performance I really meant "inconsistent," you seem to have observed that.  Briess operates on a small-batch scale compared to Rahr, which is one of the world's largest maltsters; that may be a factor in variability.  As for availability,  I suspect that's something to do with your retailers.  Again, Rahr is huge, and owned by BSG,  the US importer of many brands (Weyermann, Castle, Crisp, Simpson's, Patagonia, Gambrinus, Malt Co of Ireland...) your shop probably carries.

And yeah, Briess gets out of the way, I think Rahr has more presence, which I guess I like.  I've not had the opportunity to try GW.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:38:54 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.