Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBR Shortage Looming?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
PBR Shortage Looming?
« on: June 21, 2018, 06:11:23 am »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
PBR Shortage Looming?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:20:53 am »
Maybe PBR should build a brewery or buy one as you suggest. It seems like they could easily raise the funds.

The brewer formerly known as alestateyall.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: PBR Shortage Looming?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:12 am »
They are having a beer shortage at the World Cup. My goodness, I didn't think this was possible.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/06/20/world-cup-fans-facing-looming-beer-shortage-across-europe.html
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:29:55 am »
From what I read, the Pabst beers that are contract brewed will be in short supply. I always assumed that they brewed PBR, it being their flagship beer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:46:49 am »
From what I read, the Pabst beers that are contract brewed will be in short supply. I always assumed that they brewed PBR, it being their flagship beer.

AFAIK, all Pabst is contract brewed.  I know it used to be.  Maybe it's changed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:10:46 pm »
Pabst was one of a huge portfolio of brands bought up one by one by an investor starting in the early 70s (and ultimately the umbrella name.) As the brands were bought, their actual breweries were shut down, and production contracted out; (I think) the last actual brewery they operated was Olympia in Tumwater (IIRC sold to Miller in the 80s.) About a decade ago the whole portfolio was sold to new ownership.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:45:28 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:12:57 pm »

AFAIK, all Pabst is contract brewed.  I know it used to be.  Maybe it's changed.

The consensus seems to be that you're right. My response reflected my interpretation of a related article I read. I stand corrected.

Either way, PBR is my go to when my pipeline runs dry or I want to mow the lawn on a hot day and still count 10 toes when I'm done. I hope they work something out that keeps PBR on the shelves.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:20:02 pm »
They used to brew PBR in Peoria, but they closed the factory in 1982. An old timer on the Homebrew club used to work there. He said they had put in a new water filtration system right before they closed. There's actually a surprisingly large history of distilling Peoria also. Maybe they should move back.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20180620/nick-in-am-pabst-shortage-maybe-it-should-brew-in-peoria-heights-again

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 05:45:49 am »
Somehow I feel like the only way they run out of PBR is if they run out of cans....
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 06:47:49 am »
Somehow I feel like the only way they run out of PBR is if they run out of cans....
;D That's the idea in buying rights to branding.  They bought the goodwill. Somebody'll fill 'em up, and it doesn't matter what with ... as long as customers are buying the brand image, and aren't sensitive to the product. Back in the day I was a Stroh's guy.  When that brand came into this fold, the product in the can became just filler.  They lost me, and I still kinda miss the stuff. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.