Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belle Sasion Cider  (Read 1049 times)

Offline slimkane

• 1st Kit
Belle Sasion Cider
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:29:37 pm »
Hello everyone! I've been brewing beer for about a year now. I've made some pretty good stuff and decided that I wanted to try to make cider. Belle Saison yeast seemed like a cool yeast to use. I was thinking of making a 5 gallon batch, add about 4-5 lbs of light brown sugar (I'm going for a decent OG - trying to push the limits), 1 stick of cinnamon, add my yeast nutrient and pitch my yeast; then I'm going to ferment at room temperatures of about 75F-80F. With my beers, I know my fermentation is about 2 weeks, or whenever my FG is consistent for about 3 different readings over the next few days while making sure to properly control my temps. But, with a cider, I keep reading so many different fermentation times and temps, which all seem to range from 2 weeks to several months. I haven't been able to find clear instructions or recommendations on fermentation times. I also didn't know if anyone has successfully bottled a cider without making bombs; Can it be done? Or must they be kegged? I do know that using an airlock is not wise (I'm ready with some tubing and a gallon of water for the krausen to spill into). Does anyone have experience with a Belle Saison as the yeast of choice? How did it come out?

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Belle Sasion Cider
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 04:51:48 pm »
I have made cider a few times but from picked and then pressed apples. We have let some ferment naturally and also done batches where sodium metabisulfite was used. When using sodium metabisulfite we have used Brett, Champaign yeast, but never tried the Bella saison strain.  I think you should be ok. Since Brett would eat up more sugars than Bella.
We have never bottle conditioned cider but have bottled off of a keg. I don’t think you would have a problem bottle conditioning, if you reach final gravity you should be fine is my take.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."