Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Of air locks, dehumidifiers and long term aging - Sunday brew sadness #2  (Read 2186 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Ok - last year I posted that the basement dehumidifier ate my mead.  Well I discovered on Sunday that this year, it sampled my cyser.

So it appears I'm not checking my air lock and ensuring it I filled with liquid often enough in dehumidifier season.

Besides checking every week, anyone have suggestions for air locks for long term aging as I will forget to check again!

I use the standard 2 piece air lock, with a zip lock bag over top.

Will a bubbler be better?

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
When active fermentation is done and no more CO2 is being produced, I'd retire the airlock and either seal the vessel with foil or a solid rubber stopper. Then you don't have to worry about evaporation.
Just brew it...

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Transfer to a corney, top with CO2.  Easier to handle, no glass breakage.  I have my BarleyWine in a corney for almost 2 years now.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Thanks all!  Time to buy some more cornies for aging long term, and using solid stoppers for post fermentation, but mid term clarifying.

Offline alemental

• Cellarman
Transfer to a corney, top with CO2.  Easier to handle, no glass breakage.  I have my BarleyWine in a corney for almost 2 years now.

+1

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Get your self some breathable silicone bungs.  If it is still fermenting slowly or if the temperature goes up, the bung can burp (or should a bung fart?) out the extra gas as opposed to a stopper which would get pushed out unless held in place.  If the temperature drops the lid on the bung gets pulled flat.

https://morebeer.com/view_product/16648
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Thanks all for the suggestions.   I'm going with kegs for long term.  No glass to smash the big draw, plus better sealing. Cyser still waiting for an empty one, but 6 month old mead is now safely sitting in stainless steel.