Author Topic: poppets  (Read 454 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
poppets
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:59:53 PM »
i took 3 ball lock corny kegs apart and tossed all of the parts into a bucket.  i am trying to match poppets to posts. no matter which way I try, the poppets will not "stick" in the posts. Is this a normal thing?i can check to see if they are sealing but is the fact that they are not stuck in the post a sign that the seal is bad or will eventually fail? thanks!

Offline IPAnic

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: poppets
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:06:29 PM »
Without seeing what's going on... Make certain you're inserting the "poppets" from the inside of the post and make certain your "poppets" have the tiny o-rings on them. Also check to see if your putting them in upside down. There's really nothing more to it unless you have 6 different types of ball locks with 6 different types of poppets. Then it becomes a statistics problem.

Offline soymateofeo

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:17:16 AM »
Without seeing what's going on... Make certain you're inserting the Also check to see if your putting them in upside down. There's really nothing more to it unless you have 6 different types of ball locks with 6 different types of poppets. Then it becomes a statistics problem.
THANKS!
they are not upside down or put in wrong but i do in fact own 2 keg types.  2 are corenelius and 1 is a challenger VI.  i got it sorted but that damn challenger through me for a loop.  it has different thread sizes.  i have, for the past 15 years cleaned one keg type at a time and never crossed posts and poppets. i just got a crash course in keg types and their parts. i usually toss the parts in a hop bag and throw them in the soaking keg. gotta keep that habit.  i did not know what I was avoiding.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:26:56 PM »
I had problems with some old poppets sticking inside the posts. Had to pull them out with needle nose plyers because the tail part was bent out. I bought some universal poppets with just spring on the bottom no feet and they have worked fine. I don't think the poppets are supposed to stick inside the posts.
Mike F.                                                                               "I am what I am and that's all that I am" Popeye the sailor

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 06:39:44 PM »
I have 14 kegs.  Very few of the poppets actually stick in the posts.  If I try to push them up inside they just pop right back out.  For the most part they just kind of float inside while I tighten the posts.  It's never been a problem for me (yet).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 02:58:18 AM »
There are slight visual differences between the poppets. If you've already matched the posts to the kegs you ought to be able to figure out the poppets.

I made the same mistake when I first started kegging. What a pain.

Universal poppets are a nice solution.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »
Probably too late to help, but - you might want to compare your poppets to these via photos, to match the correct post and keg:

https://www.homebrewing.org/search.html?k=poppets

And this might help you identify which post belongs to which keg:

https://www.homebrewing.org/search.html?k=keg+posts

When I wash multiple kegs I put a piece of tape with a number on it on the keg, and the same number on a large cottage cheese tub, and put the keg posts, poppits, gas stem into a tub that matches the keg.  When all is clean, rinsed and sanitized I know which hardware belongs to which keg.

Offline soymateofeo

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »
never too late to help.  I am going to save this link for sure.  Here is the update. I got the kegs all sorted out. It took a while to realize that my kegs had the wrong posts on them. That was the way they came. it wouldn't have been a huge deal if I hadn't mixed them up. 
anyway, I ended up with some universals on the last keg that wouldn't hold pressure only to find that there was a pinhole leak in my post under the gasket. I don't know how that would happen but it did.  My LHBS had 2 universals and matched them up for me because, apparently, they vary in spring length.

Offline soymateofeo

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
AND, I ended up buying a pressure gauge that I fitted onto a connector to stick on my kegs.  That way I can tell if my keg was losing pressure slowly.  and it was.  less than 3 psi a day.  more than acceptable but hard to detect. for me anyway.