Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling from SS BrewTech Chronical  (Read 2111 times)

Offline mbalon

• 1st Kit
Bottling from SS BrewTech Chronical
« on: July 17, 2018, 10:46:18 pm »
I’ve managed to find most of my answers just browsing, but this one I’m still stumped on. So for my first post and question... I just purchased an SS BrewTech 7 gallon BME Chronical. I plan to bottle right from the Chronical using a 1.5” TC to 3/8” barb and then the hose and wand. Here’s the golden question though...

How would I go about priming the batch? SS suggested using priming tablets, but that seems like a pain and I’ve seen a lot of complaints on them. Does there happen to be priming tablets or something of that nature that could prime the whole batch while in the Chronical? I’d love to still use priming sugar, but there’s definitely more risk involved because I’d have to stir it in, and stirring gently may not do the trick. Does anyone have any tips?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:52:46 pm by mbalon »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Bottling from SS BrewTech Chronical
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:10:39 am »
It seems possible for you to allow yeast to drop down to the bottom of the  central bottom pipe and for you to remove primed beer above this pipe.  So theoretically it would possible for you to add priming sugar and stir without picking up too much sediment.  You could add gelatin and stir a day or two before bottling to further promote sedimentation into the central pipe.  Just a wag/thought.  Post back later on what works and what doesn't.

Offline mbalon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:13 am »
I didn’t even think of gelatin, I was more worried about oxygenation then sediment, but I’d assume a nice, slow, and easy stir with a mash paddle wouldn’t aerate it that much. Correct?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:48:08 pm »
I wouldn't worry about oxygenation or aeration from stirring right before bottling because the oxygen is eaten by the yeast and because you get more oxygen pickup when filling bottles then when stirring the fermenter.  A little stirring for gelatin shouldn't be problematic especially if you can purge the headspace of the fermenter with CO2 afterwards.

Having said that, if you are one of the people who is so scared of oxygenation that you put antioxidants in your mash then even a little stirring could be problematic for the most delicate beers.

Offline mbalon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:55:07 pm »
Unfortunately I haven’t gotten into purging with CO2 yet, down the road I’d like to. Once I get an in-line oxygenation set up for transfers from the kettle to the fermenter. I’ll just stir in priming sugar or DME and see what happens. Thanks!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 06:28:38 pm »
First, drop yeast/hop sediment from the cone, as much as possible. Then add your priming sugar solution. Then attach a CO2 line to the cone valve, turn on the CO2 to about 5 psi, open the top for venting and bubble CO2 through the beer for about 5 seconds. This should mix the priming solution pretty well. If you include fresh yeast in your priming solution then O2 damage will be minimal to none. If it's a hoppy beer, you may lose some aromatics doing this, but it's a good way to mix stuff into finished beer (sugar, finings, etc.).