Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boxed beer' could be the new drinking trend  (Read 2677 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Boxed beer' could be the new drinking trend
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 06:21:54 am »
Maybe I'll manage dactylic hexameter in a post someday.

I heard your diacetylic hexameter skills are phenomenal, so it's only a short way to go!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 09:38:48 am »
I'm moving to Denver next month so I'll bite the bullet at some point and try it.

I wouldn't say uncarbonated sour beer is my favorite but I've tasted enough while blending and bottling my own that I have some sense of how it should taste.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 12:09:14 pm »
So I found this beer at a beerfest here in Colorado and tried it out as promised.

The beer is served out of a plastic bladder in a box. The bag is thick--a lot thicker than the mylar bags I've seen for boxed wine (although my experience with boxed wine is minimal). It reminds me more of IV bags at a hospital. I guess it serves the intended purpose but I still don't understand the appeal personally.

The beer is minimally carbonated but not flat. It holds carbonation similar to a gravity keg. I've drank a lot of minimally carbonated and flat sour beer from my own brewing but I'd be surprised there's a big market for this. It's a little heavy and dull in the mouthfeel.

Flavor-wise it reminds me of some not great spontaneous experiments of my own. It's not particularly sour and the flavor profile is mostly earthy flavors in the forest floor/damp basement profile. They definitely need some work on these beers (like most breweries state-side brewing spontaneous beers) and wish they would have spent more time perfecting the beer over rushing out an unusual concept.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 12:49:06 pm »
Everyone on this forum knows they would slap the bag and pass it around with friends, just to try it, and we’ll, for quality control.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 02:34:22 pm »
I live not too far away from primitive beer and I went to their grand opening. I love that there is a big enough beer scene in Colorado to be able to support experiments like this: we have some a few all craft lager breweries popping up and now we have a traditional lambic brewery — it's a great time to be a craft beer lover in Colorado.

In addition to serving beer in boxes, at the brewery they serve it using beer engines and ferment in a ton of barrels that are stacked everywhere. Their coolship is in the corner of the taproom so I got to lean in and look at it up close which is super awesome.

The beer was not the spectacular lambic that you get in Belgium, but it was interesting. They're still very new and they are passionate enough that I imagine it will only improve over time.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 11:39:01 am »
Everyone on this forum knows they would slap the bag and pass it around with friends, just to try it, and we’ll, for quality control.

I was offered the opportunity to slap the bag and I did.

narvin

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 02:51:31 pm »
They had this at Oud Beersel and I would kill to have that lambic in a box here.  Obviously it's young and relatively uncarbonated, or else the bag wouldn't be able to hold it.