Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Altbier & Irish Ale Hybrid  (Read 3543 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: German Altbier & Irish Ale Hybrid
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 08:54:29 am »
I like the direction. I would personally avoid k97. I have used it many time oz and us05 would work better for an alt as far as fermentis dry yeast is concerned.

Actually, for a dry yeast 34/70 would probably be the best choice.  Way better than 05 IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 10:47:00 am »
I like the direction. I would personally avoid k97. I have used it many time oz and us05 would work better for an alt as far as fermentis dry yeast is concerned.

I haven't used K-97 yet but I do have a pack in my fridge based on tons of positive feedback I have seen on it.  Eventually I'll give it a go.  What don't you like about it exactly?
It’s not clean. It throws an ester that has a bit of a wang to it. Not a good description I know. To me it reminds me of a more flocculant wheat beer strain (as compared to WLP320.)

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 10:41:45 pm »

I haven't used K-97 yet but I do have a pack in my fridge based on tons of positive feedback I have seen on it.  Eventually I'll give it a go.  What don't you like about it exactly?
It’s not clean. It throws an ester that has a bit of a wang to it. Not a good description I know. To me it reminds me of a more flocculant wheat beer strain (as compared to WLP320.)

- formerly alestateyall.

This is pretty much the exact same experience I have had with k97. Not clean with a funky twang that works better for lighter wheat type styles. Very disappointing for what I thought it would be.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 10:43:31 pm »

Actually, for a dry yeast 34/70 would probably be the best choice.  Way better than 05 IMO.

Agree to disagree. I know you don’t care for 05 but I think it would work fine though 34/70 would be fine too.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 05:38:56 am »
Thanks for the additional feedback on K-97.  Perhaps I was caught up in some wishful thinking.

Both US-05 and W-34/70 would be boring in this recipe.  1007 is excellent and WLP004 is great in the Irish brews.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 08:49:40 am »
Thanks for the additional feedback on K-97.  Perhaps I was caught up in some wishful thinking.

Both US-05 and W-34/70 would be boring in this recipe.  1007 is excellent and WLP004 is great in the Irish brews.

Boring?  Nope, perfect because they'll get out of the way.  And 1007 is the German 1056, so it won't have my more character than 34/70.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 12:15:11 pm »
I've used 34/70 in a Dusseldorf Alt and fermented it at around 65F and the fermentation character was still very neutral. 34/70 seems to be very tolerant of temperature.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 01:45:40 pm »
If you're looking for a neutral lager-like strain... I just used S-189 at 64 F in a maibock and it turned out great, 79% attenuation.  Clean, not fruity, no sulfur or diacetyl, just great lager character.  If my one anecdotal example turns out being the norm, I'll be using S-189 a lot more in future.  I like it better than W-34/70.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 02:31:42 pm »
I used S-189 for the first time in a Helles Bock that was outstanding. Great yeast. It does demand proper lagering since that same beer tasted like a hot alcohol bomb for the first 6 weeks. It became a malty and soft example of the style after that.

The manufacturer does indicate that S-189 has more fruity esters than 34/70 when both are used at proper lager fermentation temps. I can believe that. So Dave, S-189 wasn't too ill-mannered when fermented at ale temps? 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 02:38:14 pm »
The manufacturer does indicate that S-189 has more fruity esters than 34/70 when both are used at proper lager fermentation temps. I can believe that. So Dave, S-189 wasn't too ill-mannered when fermented at ale temps?

Yes, that is my experience.  But, I also might have a sh***y palate.  More experiments are needed... which I will eventually very happily conduct and consume.
Dave