Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: QD to faucet assembly - how well does it work? (Picture)  (Read 2157 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
QD to faucet assembly - how well does it work? (Picture)
« on: July 08, 2018, 11:06:10 am »
Anyone have any experience with these? My main concern is that they'll pour foamy. I'm going to keep the kegs cold, carbonation level around 2.5, and serving pressure low. But I have no experience with these so I'm looking for opinions. Just need something for a party.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: QD to faucet assembly - how well does it work? (Picture)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:21:42 am »
Those need to have the gas pressure turned down to reduce foam. 

I have a similar setup but use a flow control faucet. It works great. No foam at 10-12 psi (I haven’t tried to find a maximum.)

To use a flow control faucet you need a special QD to faucet adapter that is bored out to leave room for the flow control mechanism to move freely.

Here is a thread where I discussed my setup.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25689.0

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
QD to faucet assembly - how well does it work? (Picture)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 11:46:01 am »
I also use the QD and Perlick flow control faucets at 12 psi. I enjoy the results and not having to clean lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 02:34:21 pm »

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25689.0
^ Legit

I personally would probably not go that route. Sorry for not having experience with that exact product but you can buy a plastic beer faucet for $4 and add a foot of tubing (or more) to increase accessibility when pouring.

If this is a one time thing I would go the cheaper route.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/plastic-beer-faucet.html
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 04:55:10 pm »
I use one on a 2.5 gal torpedo keg with a 16 gram CO2 injector to provide the push needed to serve. I love it. If I'm serving a 5 gal I use my jockey box. But this simple system is great for a small impromtu gathering, the keg sits in a cooler with ice. When the pour begins to slow, give the co2 a squeeze.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 08:44:35 pm »
I have one, I poured at a festival last weekend and had no problems.

Throw a cold keg in the ice mule with some ice and it's get for a few hours. I kept the regulator super low and didn't have any issues. Works a bit better with a 2.5 gallon keg, as you can cinch the top down a bit and snake a party tap out. Always fun to walk around pouring people drinks. Here's the link for the coller pack, I believe they have a 33 liter option also.

https://www.rei.com/product/896375/icemule-pro-cooler-23-liters

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 10:09:03 pm »
That mules looks cool. A little pricey though.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 07:56:35 am »
I messed with these things a few years back.  It is really hard to keep the foaming down because the system is not balanced between the tap and the keg.  Yes, turning the serving pressure down will help but you still have beer carbonated at 2.5 volumes that you are trying to pour through a very short tap run and have CO2 coming out of solution to equalize the head pressure in the keg.
I agree that maybe a cobra picnic tap and a short piece of tubing is a better choice (use the smallest ID tubing you can get so that the pressure is more quickly reduced to 0 PSI at the cobra tap with the shortest amount of line).  There is a lot of information out there about line diameter and length as it applies to balancing the system.
Sorry, it may mean some extra cleaning involved but it is probably more cost effective to go this route than the QD faucet assembly.
The opinions are my own here.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:44 am »
For me, having a balanced system is only necessary for my home kegerator where the keg is expected to last a few weeks, the carbonation is consistent, and there is no serving issues with foaming. I keep a few 2.5 gal kegs on hand for "off site" consumption, where the keg will be gone in a few hours and I don;t care if a little  co2 comes out of suspension. So, for that short term use, that tap without beer line is perfect. But I agree, it's not a perfect item for all situations.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 02:53:40 pm »
That mules looks cool. A little pricey though.

REI members get 20% coupons a few times a year. Plus they've always been really good about standing behind what they sell.