Author Topic: "Style Hunter" Provisional Styles  (Read 288 times)

Offline blhawes

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
"Style Hunter" Provisional Styles
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:37:26 PM »
I attended Gordon Strong's "Style Hunter" session at Homebrew Con 2018 where he discussed the provisional styles that have been added to the BJCP guidelines.  He talked about 6: NE IPA, grisette, New Zealand pilsner, Burton ale, Catharina sour, and one other.  I didn't take notes on it because it wasn't one that piqued my interest as something I wanted to brew, but now I've been asked by my club to give a presentation on the "new" styles.  Here's the rub -- only 4 of the 6 Gordon talked about actually got added.  I know it's not a big deal since that sixth style didn't make the cut, but it's bugging me that I can't remember.

Is there anyone on here that can remind me of what that last style was?  I want to say Mexican lager, but I'm not sure.  I know the people in my club would be interested to know what's on BJCP's radar, even if they haven't been added as provisional categories as of yet.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
Re: "Style Hunter" Provisional Styles
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:25:11 AM »
Blue Glitter IPA.

J/K, I dunno.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:46:52 PM »
Yep, Mexican Lager was the other. He had a recipe for one in his presentation also.

Ralph R.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »
Are we going to use this thread to complain about the new styles or should we start a new one?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:41:21 PM »
Are we going to use this thread to complain about the new styles or should we start a new one?

Why not just use this one?

I was actually slightly (VERY slightly) serious about the Butterfly Pea Blue Glitter IPA.  I predict this could become a provisional style in 1-2 more years.  Maybe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline santoch

• Brewmaster
  • North Bend, WA
    • View Profile
    • WAHA
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 02:52:21 AM »
It's kind of funny, there are more than just a handful of craft breweries up here now making Mexi-Lagers, so I'm not surprised to see it as one of the provisional styles.
I like clean well made lagers, and the good ones I've had are quite enjoyable on a hot day.
Mt. Si Brewing Society
Washington Homebrewer's Association (WAHA)
BJCP GM2/Mead Judge