Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Altbier & Irish Ale Hybrid  (Read 3555 times)

Offline tmuth

• 1st Kit
German Altbier & Irish Ale Hybrid
« on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:57 pm »
I am looking at combining aspects of these two beer styles. Would I be better off using German grains mixed with Irish hops, or vice versa? And then what type of yeast would I use for this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: German Altbier & Irish Ale Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:20:49 pm »
You don't need German grain necessarily.  I use WY1007 for alt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:50:01 pm »
Maybe Irish base malt with German specialty malts (caramunich, carafa, etc) or vice versa. I think Spalt hops are pretty traditional in alt so maybe go with some spalt and goldings (or whatever is in Irish Red).
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:43:33 pm »
Why not go with 50/50 German/British malts, use Northern Brewer hops which are loved by both the Germans and the Brits, and use Irish ale yeast.  There you go, that would work.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:20:26 pm »
Why not go with 50/50 German/British malts, use Northern Brewer hops which are loved by both the Germans and the Brits, and use Irish ale yeast.  There you go, that would work.
I might just brew that because it sounds damn tasty. 

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »
I might just brew that because it sounds damn tasty.
+1
Pale ale & medium crystal, with light Munich on the German side, go easy on the late hops...?  Sounds like a perfect Fall beer.

(Not meant to be an exhaustive list of malts.  Probably want some roast something for color.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:16:12 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:47:35 am »
Honestly, you could probably use a simple Irish red recipe, increase the bitterness, and ferment with an alt yeast.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 09:46:34 am »
I am not sure what you are trying to get out of this combination.  In my opinion an Irish Red has a distinct malt flavor (kind of caramelly) which is accentuated by the type of yeast.  A traditional Alt is very clean and accentuates the hoppiness and has more of a bready malt character.  Did you want the base malt of an Irish and the hoppiness of an Alt or did you want the cleanliness of the Alt, the malt of an Irish Red without the hops?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tmuth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 07:34:39 am »
I might be out thinking the room, but this is my first attempt at brewing a beer without a specific recipe to follow and I wanted to brew something that paid homage to my two heritages, German-Irish.
So, I am just trying to blend these two styles to make a tasty beer. I'll probably try a couple combinations.
Batch #1- Gold Extract Malt with German Alt Specialty grains
Batch #2- Munich Malt Extract w/ Briees Sparkling Amber DME & Irish Ale Specialty Grains.

Just need to figure out the hops and yeast for each.

I am not sure what you are trying to get out of this combination.  In my opinion an Irish Red has a distinct malt flavor (kind of caramelly) which is accentuated by the type of yeast.  A traditional Alt is very clean and accentuates the hoppiness and has more of a bready malt character.  Did you want the base malt of an Irish and the hoppiness of an Alt or did you want the cleanliness of the Alt, the malt of an Irish Red without the hops?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 08:08:56 am »
Oh, this is *extract*...... hang on, we will try to come up with something that will work.........
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tmuth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:18 am »
Sorry, should of stated that at the beginning....I'm working my way to All Grain. I'm just not there yet.
Oh, this is *extract*...... hang on, we will try to come up with something that will work.........

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:10:16 am »
I had to rely on hand-calculations (which *should* *hopefully* be reasonably accurate as I don't have software here (at work)), but here's approximately what I would suggest, assuming a 5-gallon batch, with 2.5 gallon abbreviated boil + 2.5 gallons top-off post-boil, aiming for approximately 1.057 OG:

8 oz CaraPils malt
4 oz CaraMunich malt
4 oz English Medium Crystal malt (~55 L)

Crush these specialty malts and steep in 2.7 gallons water as it heats up until you reach 170 F, then pull the steeping bag out.  Remove from the heat, then add:

6 lb Maris Otter LME
1 lb cane sugar

Stir well to dissolve, then bring to the boil.  Then add:

2 oz Northern Brewer hops

Boil for 15 minutes.  Then top up with cool, chlorine-free water to hit 5 gallons.  Pitch any of the following yeasts, or whatever else you like:

Wyeast 1007
K-97
WLP004
Wyeast 1084

Let ferment in the low to mid 60s F (16-18 C) until the yeast settles out -- could be a couple days, could be a month, depending on the yeast that you selected.  Patience.  Then package and enjoy.

Cheers and good luck.  :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:44:51 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:40 pm »
UPDATE: Okay, gents, I put the recipe into software this evening and now I can see where a couple of adjustments would be needed, especially for color.  Updated recipe as follows:

8 oz CaraPils malt
4 oz CaraMunich malt
4 oz English Medium Crystal malt (~55 L)
2 oz Carafa III (~600 L, for red color adjustment)

Crush these specialty malts and steep in 2.7 gallons water as it heats up until you reach 170 F, then pull the steeping bag out.  Remove from the heat, then add:

5.5 lb Maris Otter LME
1 lb cane sugar

Stir well to dissolve, then bring to the boil.  Then add:

2 oz Northern Brewer hops

Boil for 15 minutes.  Then top up with cool, chlorine-free water to hit 5 gallons.  Pitch any of the following yeasts, or whatever else you like:

Wyeast 1007
K-97
WLP004
Wyeast 1084

Let ferment in the low to mid 60s F (16-18 C) until the yeast settles out -- could be a couple days, could be a month, depending on the yeast that you selected.  Patience.  Then package and enjoy.

Cheers and good luck (again).  :)
Dave

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 08:26:46 pm »
I like the direction. I would personally avoid k97. I have used it many time oz and us05 would work better for an alt as far as fermentis dry yeast is concerned.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 07:38:50 am »
I like the direction. I would personally avoid k97. I have used it many time oz and us05 would work better for an alt as far as fermentis dry yeast is concerned.

I haven't used K-97 yet but I do have a pack in my fridge based on tons of positive feedback I have seen on it.  Eventually I'll give it a go.  What don't you like about it exactly?
Dave