Author Topic: Optimizing yeast starters.  (Read 243 times)

Offline charlie

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Malt Munching Mash Monsters
Optimizing yeast starters.
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:24:38 AM »
In August 2017 I wrote a short communication about optimizing yeast starters, and I would like to share it. I have been using this procedure for a couple or three years now, with excellent results, and I think that it is instructive. The procedure allows one to make four or five sub-cultures from a White Labs or Wyeast packet, and prepare a pitching starter from each one that it raring to go on brew day.

I have run this article past two editors, and I believe that it's pretty clean. If this subject interests you, or if you have editorial or critical comments, I would like to know. Here it is:

http://thealechemist.com/files/Working_Paper.pdf

Note: I sterilize all of my starters. I do this because I believe that you need to start with the cleanest possible culture. And it takes very little more effort to sterilize the starter wort than it does to merely sanitize it.

TIA,
Charles

Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline charlie

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing yeast starters.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 03:32:10 AM »
117 views and no comments. Wow! That's got to be a record! :-)

I read the paper over three times since I posted it, and found a few awkward sentences. They have been corrected, and I'll update the file PDQ.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline Richard

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 04:55:34 AM »
I read it, and I am sure that your scheme will work well, but it seems like overkill for most people. I didn't comment because all I have to add is my personal opinion about whether the extra effort is worth it or not.

Offline charlie

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »
I read it, and I am sure that your scheme will work well, but it seems like overkill for most people. I didn't comment because all I have to add is my personal opinion about whether the extra effort is worth it or not.

I understand. It does work in my hands, and it does save a bit of money. I'm a bit of a lab rat, and overkill is in my job description. :-)

Charlie