Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WB-06 SAF ALE purification  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Indian beer girl

• 1st Kit
WB-06 SAF ALE purification
« on: July 11, 2018, 08:55:33 am »
Hello beer lovers!

I am working in one of the craft beer company in EU, I am fed up of the acidic flavor only in wheat beer SAFALE WB-06 , I suspected contamination from the packet itself, therefore I sent the yeast packets for microbiological testing, found out that it has some contamination.
Since I already purchased in bulk & they are not ready to take it back, so I am planing to do purification of yeast using 75% phosphoric acid.

However , my boss is asking me to make purification in propogation vessel?????? how is it even possible? The usage capacity of that vessel is 300lt, and for 1kg yeast powder you need only 50% of water to dilute, that is only 500ml. We use 1kg yeast powder from packet itself for 2000lt batch.

The whole thing is so confusing.As per theoretical calculation I would be needing more than 100kg of yeast powder to make purification in 300lt capacity vessel. It does't make any sense.  :-\ :'( ::) ::)I can purify the yeast in small  stainless steel table top vessel, but how in propagation vessel????????? please help. I am not getting any relevant info in internet.Can someone please tell me right dilution ratio????? :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: WB-06 SAF ALE purification
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:05:01 am »
The first question needs to be: What are the contaminating organisms and are they effectively killed with your phosphoric acid treatment?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:49:13 pm »
There's being frugal and then there is just being dumb. Grow up some liquid yeast. In 1-2week you could grow up a 70 hectoliter pitch from a single colony and have a batch you can be sure is pure rather than messing around and failing in the end product.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:02:18 pm »
There's being frugal and then there is just being dumb. Grow up some liquid yeast. In 1-2week you could grow up a 70 hectoliter pitch from a single colony and have a batch you can be sure is pure rather than messing around and failing in the end product.

My thoughts exactly. You've got a 300 L yeast prop, and you could grow a 1 L starter up to that capacity in 4 or 5 days.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!