Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs Question  (Read 2646 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
White Labs Question
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:47:24 pm »
I got a vial of wlp060 and a vial of wlp004 while I was at the shop 2 days ago.  Any ideas why the wlp060(the only vial he had) had dark red specs in the compacted yeast?  The use by date was September 15 2016, I made a 2 gal AG batch to split between the 2 strains.  Both are going strong and seem happy.  But I was worried that the "blended" yeast has a dead strain in it.  It smells clean and fruity, but wondered if anyone else has experienced a "peppered" yeast cake in the vials before
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: White Labs Question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:42:56 am »
It sure sounds like that is the case, but I wouldn't worry about it, if it took off well.  Repitching would cause me concern, however, as the blend might be altered in terms of ratios....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:44:31 am »
Repitching would cause me concern, however, as the blend might be altered in terms of ratios....

That's always been my concern with using the yeast blends that White Labs and Wyeast put out. When making a starter one or the other could end up dominating and you wouldn't get the effect that you want from the blend.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 03:03:26 pm »
I got a vial of wlp060 and a vial of wlp004 while I was at the shop 2 days ago.  Any ideas why the wlp060(the only vial he had) had dark red specs in the compacted yeast?  The use by date was September 15 2016, I made a 2 gal AG batch to split between the 2 strains.  Both are going strong and seem happy.  But I was worried that the "blended" yeast has a dead strain in it.  It smells clean and fruity, but wondered if anyone else has experienced a "peppered" yeast cake in the vials before

I have never heard or seen dark red specs in any WL vial or tube before.  Interesting. I wonder if it is just part of the growth medium in there?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:13:51 pm »
Yeah, idk.  I brewed with it and it is going really strong, so fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:43:51 am »
Sounds like you are good to go. I just always assumed the vial/pouch contents are sterile anyways.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:28:38 pm »
This is what I was talking about, its showed up in my "ranched" yeast

If you are thinking those are hops, they are not...
Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:47:07 pm by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:45:00 am »
Never seen anything like that but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that vial was contaminated at WL before distribution.

Might be worth emailing WL for their thoughts.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline nmgibson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:42:24 am »
Little late to the party on this but mine did the same thing initially.  I left it in the fridge for a week and all the dark flecks went away.  I've made six other vials from the same initial harvest and none of them had this, just the first harvest.