Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mead  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
Mead
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:14:32 pm »
We're getting ready to touch the mead, after about 5 months of being in the primary fermenter.
We're stoked to see what has been sitting there bubbling quietly.

Can we turn some of the mead into a melomel, or is that what we needed to do when we first made it?
Can we transfer to secondary and add the fruit and wait some more, or do you think its too late?
When you brew, brew with a happy heart.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Mead
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:38:31 pm »
Nope, you can totally add flavors late. I wouldn't add raw fruit and then bottle because - boom, but I add spices and teas and what not to flavor individual bottles because I like to play.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:55 pm »
Our mead is in a 6.5 gal primary.
We're going to take a sample and taste test it. We don't want a dry mead.
We'll probably do 1 gallon with fruit, and transfer the remainder into a 5 gal. secondary.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:25:50 pm »
I agree with Drew's comment.  I always wait until after fermentation before adding fruit to a mead.

At this point you can also consider adding a sulfite.  This isn't necessary, but can help protect and preserve the mead.  Especially the part you're adding fruit to.  The easiest way to add a sulfite is with campden tablets.  Normally I use them in the range of about half a tablet per gallon.

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:44:49 pm »
What does the sulfite do?
Doesn't that stop the fermentation?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
No.  It won't stop an active fermentation.  Although it can definitely make the environment less than ideal for the yeast, so I wouldn't add it until the fermentation is done.

The intention of adding a sulfite it to protect the mead from oxygen, bacteria, and other things.  It does this by binding to that stuff before it interacts with the mead.  Again, not at all necessary, just an added layer of protection.  With my meads I usually do a sulfite addition with the second racking (because that's handful of months in and I know the fermentation should be done), or any time I'm putting in an additive.  Whether that be fruit or whatever.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:06:40 pm »
What does the sulfite do?
Doesn't that stop the fermentation?

I typically add my fruit to the secondary usually earlier than this but...
If I were in your situation, I'd add my fruit with sulfite (to kill any bacteria & wild yeast on the fruit).

If you want to stop your fermentation add potassium sorbate with the sulfite.  Wait a day or two to let it deactivate the yeast.  Then you can back add some honey to bring the mead up to the sweetness you want.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­