Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Scoresheets  (Read 3495 times)

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
NHC Scoresheets
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:10:13 am »
Just curious if anyone had gotten their scoresheets yet.  The post-competition e-mail said that all entrants would receive them by today.  Just wondering if they had been going out gradually over the past week or if they are all going out today.

Offline johnny_mo

• Cellarman
Re: NHC Scoresheets
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:26:17 am »
I am sending out the scoresheets today, as well as releasing the post-competition package that contains the results and letter for your entries. Thanks for being patient about it!

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:30:49 am »
I am sending out the scoresheets today, as well as releasing the post-competition package that contains the results and letter for your entries. Thanks for being patient about it!

Great - thanks.

Offline joeinma

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 10:52:17 am »
Guy in my club who made Finals received his about an hour ago.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:13:55 am »
I just got mine.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:14:06 am »
I got mine this morning.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 11:43:40 am »
Got mine as well..... Close but no cigar.  Glad they were at least in the hunt though:
Helles Exportbier =  40/42 Mini BOS. I think this is the third time to make mini BOS in this category-no medals :(
Dark Mild = 38/39

Hopefully get over the hump one of these years.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:10 am »
This year the mini-BOS rounds were judges by a different set of judges from those who judged the flights. I believe all were National and higher and wasn't sure how it would work out. IMO it worked very well. The judges were able to focus on finding the top three beers and were not skewed by what they may have advanced from the earlier round of judging. Know that if your beer made it to the mini-BOS it was probably one of the top 12-15 beers out of all the entries in the country. Congratulations!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 12:40:43 pm »
I see they also put info up on the competition page too.  They may not have marked "mini BOS" on all the paper forms, as it indicates on the competition page that my Mild made mini BOS too.... so, worth looking at both for those getting their score sheets.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 01:19:29 pm »
At most of the competitions in Florida we fill out a mini bos form to send back with the score sheets of entries that advanced.  It includes notes from the judges on all the mini bos entries to give some reasoning as to why it did or did not place.  I wish all the competitions did this.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »
I agree, this would be fantastic. I made the mini BOS in Chicago but didn't advance. I'd have loved to get some extra feedback, but I feel like I have some things to play around with for next year. Fixed my astringency issue at least from last year.

Way to go braufessor, pretty tough to advance two beers. Did you submit just those two, or did you have a few more in the first round?

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:46 pm »
I agree, this would be fantastic. I made the mini BOS in Chicago but didn't advance. I'd have loved to get some extra feedback, but I feel like I have some things to play around with for next year. Fixed my astringency issue at least from last year.

Way to go braufessor, pretty tough to advance two beers. Did you submit just those two, or did you have a few more in the first round?

I submitted 4 to regionals and had 2 advance to finals.... and then both made mini BOS.... so, I am really pretty pleased that both were in the ballpark.

I agree about the mini BOS "notes"...... I know at that point, the judges are only really concerned with finding the top 3 and it is not about filling out an entire score sheet.  But it would be really great if there was a section for Mini BOS where the judges just wrote down one or two phrases that let you know what the key factor was that knocked your beer out (or set it apart enough to medal). 
For instance..... On a Helles Exportbier that I had in mini BOS...... something as simple as  "A bit too malty and needed more bitterness"  or even something as simple as "Beer was among the last couple, but the others just stood out more and were a bit better."   That would only take less than a minute to do, and would be insightful for the brewer going forward.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 05:31:04 am »

I agree about the mini BOS "notes"...... I know at that point, the judges are only really concerned with finding the top 3 and it is not about filling out an entire score sheet.  But it would be really great if there was a section for Mini BOS where the judges just wrote down one or two phrases that let you know what the key factor was that knocked your beer out (or set it apart enough to medal). 

You're talking about comparing apples and oranges. There is little more that could be quickly conveyed other than your beer wasn't presenting itself better than the other beer(s). The beers are often different styles and variants.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 07:33:22 am »

You're talking about comparing apples and oranges. There is little more that could be quickly conveyed other than your beer wasn't presenting itself better than the other beer(s). The beers are often different styles and variants.
No, Martin, it is pretty easy to have the steward or one of the judges make a few notes as each beer is eliminated from a BOS round.  (That is, if the format of eliminating is followed - I have seen some flights done by vote right from the start, but that’s not so common).  Simple notes, like “a little astringent” “not balanced” “slight medicinal phenolic” “too bitter” or even “better examples on the table”
Sending this back to the entrant gives him the opportunity to verify that his beer was actually judged in the mini BOS round and perhaps learn what to do to make it even better the next time.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:40 am »

Sure, that could be the case, but that does not preclude the possibility of useful information being given with almost no effort/time required by the judges.  When it gets down to the finals at NHC and mini BOS, obviously all the beers are very good. 

However, it would still be potentially very useful to know if your beer was knocked out because of some technical aspect that was not as good as others or because of just the simple "intangibles."

Something like this could even be a "checkbox" on the score sheet.  I mean, there are really only 3 reasons you are not medalling if you made mini BOS......

1.) This individual bottle may have been flawed and not up to par with the bottle that was judged in the preliminary flight: Significant Flaw Observed:_________________
2.) While good, this beer fell a bit short in some technical area(s): _____________________
3.) This beer was one of our final choices, but there were simply some slightly better beers that we chose over yours - Great Job.

As a brewer, at least that lets me know if I should consider tweaking something in particular or stick with what I have been doing.  It would take no real time and gives the brewer some idea of what it might take to get the beer to the next level.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:14:44 am by braufessor »