Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: intertap/perlick  (Read 6217 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
intertap/perlick
« on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:18 am »
I currently have a couple different faucets (2 ventmatics and 3 Perlick 525ss).  I want to change up to have all the same - was looking at the intertaps and perlicks (650ss and 630ss).  Any experience or reviews on them?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: intertap/perlick
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:19:17 am »
I have two of the old school Perlicks (the 425 ss with the shuttle mechanism) and one Intertap ss with flow control.

The action on the Perlicks is noticeably smoother than on the Intertap, but it isn't really a big deal.  I don't care much for the flow control though.  After this keg kicks,  I'm going to switch that tap back to the Perlick. 

I wish they still made the 425s.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:08 am »
I went with the Intertap tower with springs, no flow control, and absolutely love them. I use the different spout attachments all the time. The ball lock connection is perfect for bottling from the keg and the stout faucet creates a nice, smooth, creamy head that accentuates many styles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:55:03 am »
I have 650SS. The flow control works very well. I don’t have lines and serve at 10-12PSI (via QD to tap adapter) without problem.

I do have occasional issues with spitting foam when I first open the tap. Generally, I think this is related to debris in the flow control mechanism. To fix, I flush with Starsan (using my keg/carboy washer pump).

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:27 am »
I have two 650ss flow control faucets as well. I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:07:30 pm »
Intertap, definitely.  I have the all-stainless flow control, which (stainless) is not much spendier than brass-base.  With or without the flow control, the Intertap design is genius.  The sliding shuttle seals positively every time, unlike the swinging ball and floating gasket on the Perlick, which I switched from.  It's also easy to completely disassemble for cleaning.   Plus, the attachments that thread on in place of the regular spout are great.  I use the ball lock post for quick setup of my recirculating pump, and only occasionally disassemble everything just for good measure.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 12:32:51 pm »
The sliding shuttle seals positively every time, unlike the swinging ball and floating gasket on the Perlick, which I switched from.

Yeah, I've heard people have leak issues with the new Perlick design (swinging ball and floating gasket).  The older Perlicks have the same shuttle mechanism as the Intertap faucets, and they also have removable, threaded spouts. 

I don't know why they switched or if there was a lawsuit or something.  I also wonder if there is some relationship between Intertap and the old Ventmatic company, since they use the same shuttle design.

If I was buying a new faucet, I'd probably go Intertap, but I think the old Perlicks are even better.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 01:42:01 pm »
I have 2 Perlick 525SS and a Stainless Intertap. I have the Intertap closing springs in all of them. The Perlicks definitely have much smoother action but, other than that, I really have no preference. I have growler filler attachments for both, so that isn't an issue.

The only problem I ever had with the Perlicks is finding the  O ring kits for them. Finally found them at Great Fermentations.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:54:58 pm »
I went with the Intertap tower with springs, no flow control, and absolutely love them. I use the different spout attachments all the time. The ball lock connection is perfect for bottling from the keg and the stout faucet creates a nice, smooth, creamy head that accentuates many styles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 02:09:06 am »
My intertaps are solid. I have 3. Never leak. Throw on the stout spout, fill a growler, haven't tried the ball lock yet but that seems solid if you’re going to bottle off a keg.
Minimal parts, soak the stainless and pour more.
I think they are a great value, I haven’t had to replace anything in the year I’ve had all 3.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 07:28:07 am »
so Williams has a sale this week, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger - just oscillating back and forth on the flow control vs. no flow control but with spring back.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline blatz

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 07:28:01 pm »
Not liking the intertap flow control faucets - hollow pours.  Thinking about trying to return them.  :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 07:31:29 pm »
Not liking the intertap flow control faucets - hollow pours.  Thinking about trying to return them.  :(

Could you explain what you mean by "hollow pours?"  (I have Intertap flow control, wonder if it's something I've noticed too.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 07:33:51 pm »

Could you explain what you mean by "hollow pours?"  (I have Intertap flow control, wonder if it's something I've noticed too.)

Instead of the beer coming out as a full stream out of the nozzle, it will do that for a bit and then starts to thin out or become hollow in the middle of the liquid stream, causing the beer to foam.  I’ve tried adjusting the flow controls but no luck.

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 07:41:01 pm »
Ahh.  You've helped me understand what I'm seeing, I was just focusing on the oscillation between clear pour and foam.  Hadn't analyzed the geometry of the stream.  Suppose it's turbulence introduced at the flow restricting ball.  Yeah, I may replace mine with the regular Intertap model.  But I still way prefer the Intertap design over the current Perlick.  (I find the problem is less pronounced if the system is perfectly balanced otherwise. But a little off on carbonation, and it greatly exacerbates the problem rather than offering an easy adjustment.) Thanks.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio