Author Topic: Pound Cake  (Read 306 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Pound Cake
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
Today I baked a Sour Cream Pound Cake from a friend's recipe.

Sour Cream Cake

2 C sugar
2 sticks butter
6 eggs
8 oz Sour Cream
3 C plain flour
1/4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Cream sugar, butter: add eggs and blend one at a time. Combine and sift dry ingredient and add in three parts and blend. Add vanilla and blend. Add sour cream and blend. Bake at 325F for 1 1/2 hours.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:51:07 PM by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 01:25:49 PM »
Last week's Sour Cream Pound Cake, while delicious, had a lighter texture than what it should be for a pound cake. It was not quite as light as the first sour creak cake, but close. What was interesting is this was the first cake which baked for the amount of time indicated in the recipe.

This week the recipe is from a college friend. It was recited to her over the phone from her mom.

Chocolate Pound Cake

2 sticks butter
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
5 eggs
3 cups
5 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Cream sugar, butter, and shortening. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time. Sift dry ingredients. Add dry batter in batches alternating with milk. Bake in greased and floured tube pan until a toothpick comes out clean. 325F for 1hr 20 min.

This one took 100 minutes in the oven and stuck near the top. It lost the crust edge while being removed from the pan. I patched it back together as best I could. It will taste just fine. It was a wet day, I wonder if that affected anything and may have contributed to the cake attaching itself to the pan around the top perimeter.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:55:33 PM by MDixon »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
Today I baked a Sour Cream Pound Cake from a friend's recipe.

Sour Cream Cake

2 C sugar
2 sticks butter
6 eggs
8 oz Sour Cream
3 C plain flour
1/4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Cream sugar, butter: add eggs and blend one at a time. Combine and sift dry ingredient and add in three parts and blend. Add vanilla and blend. Add sour cream and blend. Bake at 325F for 1 1/2 hours.

That looks incredible!  Did you use a Bunt Cake (or tube) pan?  Difficult to determine from the photo.  I used a Bunt Cake pan with my first, and only, pound cake a few weeks ago and had a very difficult time getting it to come out of the pan even after using Pam to aid release.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 04:56:11 PM »
It's a tube pan. Pound cake really should be in a tube pan as opposed to a bundt pan, but use what you have. Butter or grease with shortening and then flour the pan to ease removal. Some bundt pans are incredibly difficult to release.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 07:30:16 PM »
It's a tube pan. Pound cake really should be in a tube pan as opposed to a bundt pan, but use what you have. Butter or grease with shortening and then flour the pan to ease removal. Some bundt pans are incredibly difficult to release.

Thanks!  I'll try that next time!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 01:07:07 PM »
The chocolate pound cake from a friend's recipe was top notch in terms of flavor. I may tweak it slightly and make it again as my own. Hopefully we won't lose any additional cake tops getting them out of the pan.

The pound cake this week was a recipe requested by my wife. It was one she found on the web for Cream Cheese Pound Cake. My father had send me some recipes from my mother's assortment of local cookbooks and one of those was Easy Cream Cheese Pound Cake. The only differences were the one from the web used butter as opposed to margarine, the one from the web used salt, and the one from the web cooked in two loaf pans. I decided to use the recipe sent to me, but to add the salt and use butter.

Easy Cream Cheese Pound Cake

6 eggs (room temp)
3 cups flour
3 cups sugar
8 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
3 sticks butter (room temp)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream margarine and cream cheese together. Add sugar. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each addition. Add vanilla, more can be added if desired. Add flour in batches and mix well. Bake in greased and floured tube pan for 1 1/2 hours.

Took 105 minutes to bake, but it looks fantastic. Decided to add more butter when I grease the pan and the cake slid out with no issues at all and almost no crumb left behind.

Tastes great, but the salt is evident. Our consensus is to leave out the salt so I put a strikethrough on that part of the recipe.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:19:30 PM by MDixon »