Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225317 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #1005 on: April 16, 2024, 04:44:35 pm »
Awesome. I have blooms on my small tomato plants but no fruit yet.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #1006 on: April 16, 2024, 06:45:48 pm »
Show offs!
Our tomato seedlings don’t get planted for another month. Our last frost date is May twenty something. We sure do appreciate tomato season when it comes though.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #1007 on: April 16, 2024, 08:26:00 pm »
We did tomatoes and peppers last year using cloth pots. They work great, but do dry out so they need watering frequently. Last year half my tomatoes died due to me not knowing how to handle plants grown from seed so I supplemented with purchased plants. We had tomatoes last year from July until November.

This year I'm hoping all my tomatoes live to see the garden. I just transplanted half of them, some never sprouted so I replanted those. Our peppers did not come up this year. We had saved some red pepper and poblano seeds and that is looking like a bust. I gave away the seeds we had left over from last year for the varieties of tomatoes we did not like.

I had plans to build elaborate stands for the cloth pots, but think I'll just stick with having them on an old piece of trex. My wife is going to use some upright planters I got at Sam's this year for other vegetables.

Last year I put the grow bags in kiddie pools and just kept about 2" of water in the pools. You need to use potting mix so the water will wick well if you do that. My peppers loved that setup but the tomatoes didn't do too well. A couple inches of mulch on top really helps the bags retain moisture as does putting them in a spot that doesn't get too much afternoon sun.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1008 on: April 17, 2024, 09:03:19 am »
I'm jealous of you guys living in warmer climates. It was 26F here this AM. Needless to say, no tomatoes or peppers going in for a while.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1009 on: Today at 10:30:11 am »
I'm jealous of you guys living in warmer climates. It was 26F here this AM. Needless to say, no tomatoes or peppers going in for a while.
Agreed, although it does give me more time to get my beds cleaned and prepped for the season.

I haven't even started my chilis yet, but my main focus is getting my hydroponic setup up and running. I have a feeling that my outdoor garden is going to be mostly direct-sowed veggies and plants from local nurseries this year.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer