Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is cooking today?  (Read 42461 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: What is cooking today?
« Reply #270 on: December 20, 2020, 06:14:26 pm »
Dough and filling ready...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
What is cooking today?
« Reply #271 on: December 25, 2020, 05:33:56 pm »
Prime Rib

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #272 on: December 25, 2020, 06:09:50 pm »
Oh man, my damn alpha gal syndrome. I wish I could have a taste without breaking into hives and sweats. I once figured out how many prime ribs I cooked, the whole ones that something like that was cut off of, when I was a chef. I think around 10,000 believe it or not. About 500 a year for twenty years. As you might imagine many a sliver was cut off and dipped in au jus on the way to my mouth.
That looks more like Demi glacé than au jus. Anyway, picture perfect with the neat little mashed potato pond and the glistening collards and shiny roll. Yum!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #273 on: December 25, 2020, 06:26:49 pm »
Oh man, my damn alpha gal syndrome. I wish I could have a taste without breaking into hives and sweats. I once figured out how many prime ribs I cooked, the whole ones that something like that was cut off of, when I was a chef. I think around 10,000 believe it or not. About 500 a year for twenty years. As you might imagine many a sliver was cut off and dipped in au jus on the way to my mouth.
That looks more like Demi glacé than au jus. Anyway, picture perfect with the neat little mashed potato pond and the glistening collards and shiny roll. Yum!
Thanks Pete!  It was tasty.  I think this was the first we’ve made and I must say it turned out great.  Plenty of ribeye steaks but first prime rib.  My wonderful wife did the whole dinner today.  Potatoes, greens, rolls and that big ole 7 1/2 lb  primal rib section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #274 on: December 25, 2020, 06:43:43 pm »
Thanks Pete!  It was tasty.  I think this was the first we’ve made and I must say it turned out great.  Plenty of ribeye steaks but first prime rib.  My wonderful wife did the whole dinner today.  Potatoes, greens, rolls and that big ole 7 1/2 lb  primal rib section.

She did great, obviously nailed a nice medium rare. Great looking cut too, nicely marbled.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #275 on: December 26, 2020, 01:10:27 pm »
No pictures, because I refused to have the phone out during family time at the holidays, but we branched out from our usual Christmas ham/turkey yesterday. I did a Strip loin roast with Béarnaise sauce. It was my first time making a strip loin, but it came out fantastic. It will definitely be a regular on the smoker next year. It was also my first time making Béarnaise, but I used the "Foolproof" recipe from Serious Eats and it came out fantastic (although I think the butter/egg ratio was skewed a bit farther toward butter than I'm used to).

Christmas eve was our family tradition of making my mother-in-law's traditional recipes from Poland. In particular, her Borscht (which is clear, rather than the Russian style with sour cream) and Bigos (a sweet & sour cabbage dish with Kielbasa). Great food and great memories, despite the pandemic preventing us from having guests.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #276 on: December 26, 2020, 01:32:44 pm »
+1. I did a three bone standing rib roast Christmas. I would normally smoke it but decided to use the oven this time. I roasted at 250*F until 120*F internal (~2.5 hrs), removed it to carry over to 135*F, then cranked up the oven to 550*F for 10 min to get a crisp exterior. Served with horseradish, mashed potatoes and gravy. It paired well with my Porter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #277 on: December 26, 2020, 01:51:08 pm »
+1. I did a three bone standing rib roast Christmas. I would normally smoke it but decided to use the oven this time. I roasted at 250*F until 120*F internal (~2.5 hrs), removed it to carry over to 135*F, then cranked up the oven to 550*F for 10 min to get a crisp exterior. Served with horseradish, mashed potatoes and gravy. It paired well with my Porter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very similar.  We cut off the bone and seared the roast on cast iron to get the house good and smoky (can’t wait for the vent hood in next house).  Place back on bone in oven @ 200*F until 110* internal.  Shut off oven and left it in there until 125*, then removed and rest for an hour.  Finished it under broiler on high for a few minutes to finish crisping.  I may go a tad bit higher internal temp next time but not by much.  Going to have it for dinner again tonight.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #278 on: December 27, 2020, 05:30:46 am »
No pictures, because I refused to have the phone out during family time at the holidays, but we branched out from our usual Christmas ham/turkey yesterday. I did a Strip loin roast with Béarnaise sauce. It was my first time making a strip loin, but it came out fantastic. It will definitely be a regular on the smoker next year. It was also my first time making Béarnaise, but I used the "Foolproof" recipe from Serious Eats and it came out fantastic (although I think the butter/egg ratio was skewed a bit farther toward butter than I'm used to).

Christmas eve was our family tradition of making my mother-in-law's traditional recipes from Poland. In particular, her Borscht (which is clear, rather than the Russian style with sour cream) and Bigos (a sweet & sour cabbage dish with Kielbasa). Great food and great memories, despite the pandemic preventing us from having guests.
Sounds nice Eric. Similarly we took advantage of no company to do something different. Christmas Eve was tapas portioned Feast of Seven Fishes and Christmas Day dinner was pheasant. Highlights of the tapas was lobster beignets and salmon ceviche. I roasted the pheasant and it was tasty but for such a lean bird next time I want to stew one. In particular I would like to make it into Doro Wat.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #279 on: December 30, 2020, 07:54:18 pm »
Preparing for New Year's Eve. Also our wedding anniversary. Peking duck and filling for jiaozi

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:08:11 pm by pete b »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #280 on: December 31, 2020, 03:35:20 pm »
Preparing for New Year's Eve. Also our wedding anniversary. Peking duck and filling for jiaozi

Nice!  I need to do duck sometime. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #281 on: December 31, 2020, 03:37:38 pm »

Just another homemade cheese pizza pie for dinner, but my wife made a great apple pie and I churned out some vanilla custard ice cream to compliment it. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #282 on: December 31, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »
Had fun making this New Year's Eve meal.

Offline BrewBama

What is cooking today?
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2021, 04:33:41 pm »
Down here we eat Black Eye Peas, Greens and Pork for New Years. Cheers!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:35:15 pm by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2021, 05:21:42 pm »
Frites tonight. Serving with chili