Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is cooking today?  (Read 42640 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What is cooking today?
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2021, 11:05:36 am »
yup, biggest little improvement i've found in technique is just making sure to take strained cooked pasta on the side, make sauce in a separate pot then do the high heat 30-45 seconds in a pan together with a bit more olive oil. makes it a lot richer and just seems restaurant quality.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2021, 04:42:26 pm »
Football steak soft tacos.

Started by seasoning a flap steak with Chef Merito’s then marinading it in beer, sliced onion, sliced orange, and sliced limes for a few hours.

i removed the sliced onion and the juice into a skillet to sauté them down. Later, i added a tomato to the onion sauté.

i reseasoned and seared the steak on the kettle using Kingsford Mesquite.

Served simply with cheese, guacamole, taco sauce, the steak and onion/tomato mixture.

Cheers!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2021, 06:21:45 pm »
Football steak soft tacos.

Started by seasoning a flap steak with Chef Merito’s then marinading it in beer, sliced onion, sliced orange, and sliced limes for a few hours.

i removed the sliced onion and the juice into a skillet to sauté them down. Later, i added a tomato to the onion sauté.

i reseasoned and seared the steak on the kettle using Kingsford Mesquite.

Served simply with cheese, guacamole, taco sauce, the steak and onion/tomato mixture.

Cheers!

Oh hell yea! That looks... perfect! I just ate a great meal and now I want this.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2021, 07:21:37 pm »
looks good for sure, but thanks to corona and sitting around all day every day im done with food for the most part.

i get into a place where i just have minimal desire beyond sustenance and nutrition. im there now big time.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2021, 05:30:05 pm »
looks good for sure, but thanks to corona and sitting around all day every day im done with food for the most part.

i get into a place where i just have minimal desire beyond sustenance and nutrition. im there now big time.
I don’t quite get what you mean, are you saying you have the losing taste and smell symptom of covid? If so, sorry to hear.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2021, 08:24:50 pm »

I don’t quite get what you mean, are you saying you have the losing taste and smell symptom of covid? If so, sorry to hear.

no, my days are just very repetitive. im home with kids to watch every day since theyve been out of school for about 9 months out of the last year with a short break when they were in school.

restaurants are pretty crap around here and mostly closed anyway. gyms are closed, so my metabolism is really slowing down.

just tired of eating a lot to kill time and little reason to go outside/exercise.

no politics, but this lockdown has seriously f##ked with single parents. i know some of them relied on school for their kids in the daytime so they could work. im fine, but it is tearing some people's lives apart.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2021, 07:10:47 pm »
Had a nice Saturday supper. Oysters on the half shell with cilantro chutney and cucumber mignonette for an appetizer with a sazerac. A pesto and caramelized onion pizza with broiled oysters and garlic butter. Each time we were down to the crust of each slice that hunk of crust was smashed into the garlic butter and oyster liquor that overflowed into the pan. Delicious

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #307 on: February 20, 2021, 07:42:25 pm »
Had a nice Saturday supper. Oysters on the half shell with cilantro chutney and cucumber mignonette for an appetizer with a sazerac. A pesto and caramelized onion pizza with broiled oysters and garlic butter. Each time we were down to the crust of each slice that hunk of crust was smashed into the garlic butter and oyster liquor that overflowed into the pan. Delicious

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Yum!!! That looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2021, 04:06:39 pm »
Made some guacamole and marinading some thin sliced ribeyes for (Steak) Taco Tuesday

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2021, 06:32:17 pm »
Sounds great! Do you use corn or flour tortillas?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2021, 07:00:14 pm »
Tonight we used flour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2021, 05:10:13 am »
I like both but a few years ago a Mexican restaurant in Hadley, MA started selling corn tortillas they make in stores and they are amazing while all the flour tortillas available here I have tried are crap (not exactly a Mexican food Mecca here). We keep our freezer stocked with those so pretty much always them for tacos. I occasionally make flour tortillas for burritos because we can’t get good ones but I haven’t perfected making nice thin large ones yet.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2021, 07:06:15 am »
I like both but a few years ago a Mexican restaurant in Hadley, MA started selling corn tortillas they make in stores and they are amazing while all the flour tortillas available here I have tried are crap (not exactly a Mexican food Mecca here). We keep our freezer stocked with those so pretty much always them for tacos. I occasionally make flour tortillas for burritos because we can’t get good ones but I haven’t perfected making nice thin large ones yet.

i live very far from mexico and any major latin american community, and my choices are to buy masa harina and make corn tortillas or buy big brand flour tortillas.

it is really disturbing that the manufactured flour tortillas can stay at room temp for 6 months. they do not mold. the ingredients list is long on them. terrible stuff imho.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2021, 07:19:36 am »
Best corn tortillas I ever had were on the top of a mountain in Honduras. We were up there to retrieve the only refrigerator in the village that the traveling Dr kept the medicine in.

A lady was cooking black beans and tortillas for the kids in the schoolyard. She was making the tortillas by hand slapping them back and forth and cooking over a wood fire with cast iron pot and griddle.

She dipped us up a bowl of beans and a pile of those hot off the cast iron tortillas.  Man, that was good eats.

Second best was Rosa’s Tortilla Factory in Midland/Odessa TX. We stopped for gas on a flight between Ft Hood and El Paso. The tower let us borrow the Cadillac to go get lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2021, 09:04:18 am »

i live very far from mexico and any major latin american community, and my choices are to buy masa harina and make corn tortillas or buy big brand flour tortillas.

it is really disturbing that the manufactured flour tortillas can stay at room temp for 6 months. they do not mold. the ingredients list is long on them. terrible stuff imho.
Yea, supermarket flour tortillas have a long ingredient list. My wife is sensitive to preservatives and can only get burritoes and wraps at places that make their own because she will start coughing for an hour if they are commercially made ones.