Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is cooking today?  (Read 41533 times)

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
What is cooking today?
« Reply #390 on: October 17, 2021, 09:47:25 pm »
We had a small group (10 total) of club members over yesterday, ostensibly to help get rid of some left-over competition beers that wound up at my house.  Well, that idea lasted for about 45 minutes (they don’t call them left-over competition beers for nothing!) before the good stuff started pouring.

Anyway, I pulled together a double batch of Wild Boar Stew which is probably the best dish I’ve ever made.  Made about 6 finished quarts.  The recipe was for Pork Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Prunes, in which I substituted wild boar stew meat for the pork.  Tweaked the recipe here and there including using pork stock instead of chicken stock, using about 1.5 times the amount of stock, added a few minced jalapeños, and adding some red wine vinegar at the end for some depth.  Pretty amazing, so much so that people took some home to where I don’t have any left over.

https://www.dartagnan.com/pork-stew-with-sweet-potatoes-and-prunes-recipe.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:50:00 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Fire Rooster

Re: What is cooking today?
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2021, 03:36:34 pm »
We had a small group (10 total) of club members over yesterday, ostensibly to help get rid of some left-over competition beers that wound up at my house.  Well, that idea lasted for about 45 minutes (they don’t call them left-over competition beers for nothing!) before the good stuff started pouring.

Anyway, I pulled together a double batch of Wild Boar Stew which is probably the best dish I’ve ever made.  Made about 6 finished quarts.  The recipe was for Pork Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Prunes, in which I substituted wild boar stew meat for the pork.  Tweaked the recipe here and there including using pork stock instead of chicken stock, using about 1.5 times the amount of stock, added a few minced jalapeños, and adding some red wine vinegar at the end for some depth.  Pretty amazing, so much so that people took some home to where I don’t have any left over.

Very good, this one is a keeper for pork loin.
Cooked pork and onion/garlic in iron skillet, then continued with recipe in another skillet.
Just the wife and I, cut the recipe in half, enough for 2 nights.  Used Bogle Merlot for the wine.
Served on a bed of basmati rice.  We didn't care for the prunes, will omit next time.
Very good, thanks.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2021, 11:26:06 am »

Cooked pork and onion/garlic in iron skillet, then continued with recipe in another skillet.
Just the wife and I, cut the recipe in half, enough for 2 nights.  Used Bogle Merlot for the wine.
Served on a bed of basmati rice.  We didn't care for the prunes, will omit next time.
Very good, thanks.
Good to hear that you think this will work without the prunes. I have a pork loin that is set for the smoker soon, and I will definitely have enough left over for a stew or something similar. This recipe is on my short list.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Fire Rooster

« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2021, 12:03:19 pm »

Very good, thanks.
Good to hear that you think this will work without the prunes. I have a pork loin that is set for the smoker soon, and I will definitely have enough left over for a stew or something similar. This recipe is on my short list.

Your not missing anything leaving out the prunes.
Red wine a must.  It says best if made a few day earlier, not sure about that.
Smkranz got it right, needs a little heat, next time I'll use some pepper flakes.
Made it earlier in the day and was watery.  Cooled down and put in fridge, by that
afternoon it was creamy/saucy. Nuked each serving two minutes for dinner, done.
Fancy recipes from that site.

https://www.dartagnan.com/recipes/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:42:59 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #394 on: October 29, 2021, 05:34:49 pm »
Homemade dough with a balsamic, hot honey and fig reduction for the sauce. A layer of mozzarella, provolone and brick cheese. Jalapeños, red onion and local canned peaches. Arugula when out of the oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #395 on: November 08, 2021, 08:40:24 am »
I pulled the Weber pizza oven out for some charcoal fired pies. I don’t eat pizza that often lately so it was a treat. I found some KA 00 flour and did a two day ferment.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #396 on: November 08, 2021, 08:57:20 am »
Very nice!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #397 on: November 09, 2021, 07:55:00 pm »
Salt Block seared Porterhouse

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #398 on: November 27, 2021, 02:31:51 pm »
Tired of turkey?!?  I am!! Missed Friday night pizza for… you guessed it, turkey left overs!! Alas! Pizza lives!
Left is a white pizza w/ cheese blend, hot peppers, black olives and oregano. Right is a red with cheese blend, green peps, mushrooms and pepperoni.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #399 on: November 27, 2021, 06:32:04 pm »
I like it when the pepperoni cups like that. Cheers!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #400 on: January 10, 2022, 06:07:46 pm »
Nat’l Championship Game Day Meatballs.

Offline berserkbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2022, 10:31:11 pm »
Got beans soaking for a soup. I'll post pictures when I figure out how to.
1 gallon experimenter

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2022, 06:33:22 am »
Ahhh man!! Today is make a 15 qt pot of tomato sauce with 40 meatballs, homemade sausage, 4# of pork butt and some hard boiled eggs, peeled.

I would share the recipe but Im too lazy to type it all out!!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2022, 08:13:06 am »
I am smoking ~6 lb of wings, making some guacamole, and whipping up some lil smokies, and lay out a charcuterie platter to watch the Daytona 500.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2022, 02:44:40 pm »
jjajangmyun