Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is cooking today?  (Read 41834 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What is cooking today?
« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2023, 07:55:17 pm »
10 lbs of Maple Brown Sugar  breakfast sausages. Will flash freeze most and vac seal. The rest are given to a few friends.

looking good, and i feel like a lot of us homebrewers have this lifestyle/mindset - make a lot of something you like at home and at once then keep it clean and packaged well and you can enjoy it over several weeks or months. with this in mind and some careful shopping, tbh i haven't been feeling the claimed inflation/food prices going up that many complain about. i mean yeah a bit, but it just encourages me to plan ahead more like this.

do they have blueberries in them?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #436 on: March 05, 2023, 05:31:25 am »
10 lbs of Maple Brown Sugar  breakfast sausages. Will flash freeze most and vac seal. The rest are given to a few friends.

looking good, and i feel like a lot of us homebrewers have this lifestyle/mindset - make a lot of something you like at home and at once then keep it clean and packaged well and you can enjoy it over several weeks or months. with this in mind and some careful shopping, tbh i haven't been feeling the claimed inflation/food prices going up that many complain about. i mean yeah a bit, but it just encourages me to plan ahead more like this.

do they have blueberries in them?

Yes, blueberries! I guess I left that item out.  :D

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #437 on: March 06, 2023, 05:39:03 am »
The sausages look great! I have been making my own sausage lately because I have alpha gal syndrome which means I a am allergic to all mammal meat. Almost all chicken and turkey sausage uses pork casings so I can’t even have that. So I got some vegetable glycerin based casings and am experimenting. So far I have used turkey as the meat but I am going to try duck this week. I also will try adding duck fat to chicken or turkey.
I made pork sausage at an Italian restaurant for years a hundred pounds at a time so it’s l8ke riding a bike.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #438 on: March 06, 2023, 09:18:59 am »
The sausages look great! I have been making my own sausage lately because I have alpha gal syndrome which means I a am allergic to all mammal meat. Almost all chicken and turkey sausage uses pork casings so I can’t even have that. So I got some vegetable glycerin based casings and am experimenting. So far I have used turkey as the meat but I am going to try duck this week. I also will try adding duck fat to chicken or turkey.
I made pork sausage at an Italian restaurant for years a hundred pounds at a time so it’s l8ke riding a bike.
I just read about alpha-gal syndrome. That’s a terrible affliction and I’m sorry to hear you suffer from it. Friggin ticks!

I haven’t made sausages from anything other than pork or pork/beef combo. Making some from what you mentioned sounds really good! As I was reading your post, ostrich and alligator came to mind. Duck sounds like it would be great too! I am going to explore some ideas with these non-mammal choices!

I don’t want to come across as condescending but I wish you the best of outcomes with alpha-gal disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #439 on: March 06, 2023, 11:33:35 am »
I just read about alpha-gal syndrome. That’s a terrible affliction and I’m sorry to hear you suffer from it. Friggin ticks!

I haven’t made sausages from anything other than pork or pork/beef combo. Making some from what you mentioned sounds really good! As I was reading your post, ostrich and alligator came to mind. Duck sounds like it would be great too! I am going to explore some ideas with these non-mammal choices!

I don’t want to come across as condescending but I wish you the best of outcomes with alpha-gal disease.

Well, as far as afflictions go there are a lot more terrible ones. Rough on a foodie like me but not as bad as not being able to eat gluten. Nothing you said remotely comes off as condecending.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #440 on: April 02, 2023, 04:24:38 pm »
On track for a good supper. Was minding my own business baking za Pollan style 100% whole wheat miche when a friend dropped off half a dozen trout he just caught. Immediately started a fire.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #441 on: April 02, 2023, 06:36:30 pm »
On track for a good supper. Was minding my own business baking za Pollan style 100% whole wheat miche when a friend dropped off half a dozen trout he just caught. Immediately started a fire.

that looks awesome, trout from a great lake or river? i dont know fishing too well

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #442 on: April 02, 2023, 07:40:11 pm »

These came from a pond but they could have just as well have come from a river, they are not exclusive to either.

that looks awesome, trout from a great lake or river? i dont know fishing too well

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #443 on: April 03, 2023, 10:58:30 am »

These came from a pond but they could have just as well have come from a river, they are not exclusive to either.

Those are some fat ones! Our season doesn't open here for another week, and I'd be thrilled to have some browns or brookies like those on the other end of my line. RI stocks some big rainbows in certain places, but the brookies usually run about 15" and a big brown is a treasure.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #444 on: April 19, 2023, 05:44:22 pm »
Made Peking Duck on the rotisserie the other night, along with traditional pancakes and a chili apricot sauce.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #445 on: May 28, 2023, 04:34:47 pm »

A couple of filets and mushrooms stoking along at 850* A nice bowl of field greens with a garlic scapes dressing and pared with my Kolsch Style beer! I’m content as can be!
Cheers to you!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #446 on: May 28, 2023, 04:56:06 pm »
Nothing fancy and no pics. Did the second deep clean (burn in and wire brush) on my 10-year-old Traeger yesterday. Had a bag of Pit Boss Spring Blend (Cherry/Maple) pellets I bought last year and filled the hopper with them. Fired it up for a few minutes to see what the smoke was like. Smelled great! Had some frozen pork rib trimmings in the freezer that needed to be used, so smoked them up today, along with a big yellow onion, diced and tossed into a batch of pinto beans, seasoned with SPG, I cooked in the Instant Pot. Great on a cool Spring day. Will definitely be doing some ribs with these pellets!
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #447 on: May 29, 2023, 01:19:25 pm »
Nothing fancy and no pics. Did the second deep clean (burn in and wire brush) on my 10-year-old Traeger yesterday. Had a bag of Pit Boss Spring Blend (Cherry/Maple) pellets I bought last year and filled the hopper with them. Fired it up for a few minutes to see what the smoke was like. Smelled great! Had some frozen pork rib trimmings in the freezer that needed to be used, so smoked them up today, along with a big yellow onion, diced and tossed into a batch of pinto beans, seasoned with SPG, I cooked in the Instant Pot. Great on a cool Spring day. Will definitely be doing some ribs with these pellets!
Those pellets sound good - I'll have to check them out sometime. I don't think I've used maple pellets wither on their own or in a blend, but that combo sounds great for pork or chicken.

My most recent discovery was Knotty Wood's plum pellets. They remind me a lot of cherry, and are pretty versatile. They are great for ribs, and worked just fine for tri-tip and meatloaf.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #448 on: July 19, 2023, 03:11:02 pm »
red cooked pork butt in pieces with vegetables fried, kongnamul banchan and riceuh. i wish i boght more vegetables for more banchan

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #449 on: July 22, 2023, 04:52:40 pm »
Who loves you Babyback?