Author Topic: What is cooking today?  (Read 19214 times)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What is cooking today?
« Reply #360 on: June 15, 2021, 01:51:32 AM »
Since this thread is very protein heavy I figured I would add something from the garden. This is an iceberg from the garden split in half with a creamy herb dressing made from dill, chives, and parsley and topped with shredded radish, all freshly picked from the garden.
For years I regarded iceberg with derision due to it's ubiquity growing up and association with school cafeterias, bad sandwiches, etcetera. Now, especially fresh, I love the crisp, crunchy deal it brings.
This was served with duck eggs florentine.

Nice! I got a late start on the garden this year, so I'm a long ways off from this kind of meal.

I love my ducks, and their eggs are fantastic for baking, but I'm not sure if I could eat them poached. I've tried them fried and hard-boiled, but the whites have a bit of a rubbery consistency compared to a chicken egg that I just can't get past. Maybe I'll try it sometime to see if cooking in water affects the firmness of the whites somehow.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #361 on: June 15, 2021, 11:06:14 AM »
Since this thread is very protein heavy I figured I would add something from the garden. This is an iceberg from the garden split in half with a creamy herb dressing made from dill, chives, and parsley and topped with shredded radish, all freshly picked from the garden.
For years I regarded iceberg with derision due to it's ubiquity growing up and association with school cafeterias, bad sandwiches, etcetera. Now, especially fresh, I love the crisp, crunchy deal it brings.

Nice! I got a late start on the garden this year, so I'm a long ways off from this kind of meal.

I love my ducks, and their eggs are fantastic for baking, but I'm not sure if I could eat them poached. I've tried them fried and hard-boiled, but the whites have a bit of a rubbery consistency compared to a chicken egg that I just can't get past. Maybe I'll try it sometime to see if cooking in water affects the firmness of the whites somehow.
I know what you mean about the whites, I don’t think I would be into a hard boiled duck eggs. I really like duck eggs in shakshuka. After cracking the eggs into their divots I carefully work the whites into the sauce while keeping the yolks intact. The whites don’t get rubbery, they almost become part of the sauce, and the yolks are sublime.
Do you have a rule of thumb for baking with duck eggs, like 1 duck egg =2 chicken eggs?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2021, 01:54:05 PM »
There's nothing like lettuce right out of the garden.  We made Thai lettuce wraps last night using butter lettuce picked 5 minutes earlier.  Crisp and juicy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2021, 09:58:31 PM »

I know what you mean about the whites, I don’t think I would be into a hard boiled duck eggs. I really like duck eggs in shakshuka. After cracking the eggs into their divots I carefully work the whites into the sauce while keeping the yolks intact. The whites don’t get rubbery, they almost become part of the sauce, and the yolks are sublime.
Do you have a rule of thumb for baking with duck eggs, like 1 duck egg =2 chicken eggs?
I usually sub 1:1, because most of the extra volume is yolk so in something like a cake it comes out similar but just more moist.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #364 on: June 15, 2021, 11:27:09 PM »

I usually sub 1:1, because most of the extra volume is yolk so in something like a cake it comes out similar but just more moist.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sounds nice. Ever try popovers with duck eggs?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #365 on: June 16, 2021, 01:59:50 AM »
We're in "salad every day" season.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #366 on: June 16, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »

No, but that sounds amazing. I will file that idea away for soup season
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #367 on: June 16, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »

No, but that sounds amazing. I will file that idea away for soup season
They can be nice in the summer filled with a nice chicken salad or such.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
What is cooking today?
« Reply #368 on: June 20, 2021, 09:11:26 PM »
Happy Father’s Day!  29 oz prime ribeye.  Reverse sear method - smoked with mesquite wood for an hour and a half then finished over blazing hot coals.
Smoked & grilled chicken wing sections and shrimp for good measure. 
My wife assisted with an awesome strawberry pie, my oldest boy made the whipped cream. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 09:15:25 PM by JT »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #369 on: June 21, 2021, 11:13:52 AM »
That all looks fantastic. Do you eat the shrimp with the shell on?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #370 on: July 01, 2021, 12:52:18 AM »
That all looks fantastic. Do you eat the shrimp with the shell on?
I have not

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
We had garlic scape chicken wings last night with broccoli and Fava beans from the garden last night along with a caesar salad.
 I brined the wings in the morning and made them confit by cooking them at 250 with duck fat, tons of minced garlic scape, and some red pepper flakes. They were then crisped on the grill and served with garlic scape pesto. I think I will always confit chicken wings, they were the best wings I ever had.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 12:00:33 AM by pete b »

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2021, 01:49:28 PM »
Friday Night Pizza
72 hour ferment. Sauce is a balsamic reduction with honey and fig jam. Toppings were jalapeños, red onion, smoked pork and machengo cheese and topped with peaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2021, 01:59:33 PM »
Friday Night Pizza
72 hour ferment. Sauce is a balsamic reduction with honey and fig jam. Toppings were jalapeños, red onion, smoked pork and machengo cheese and topped with peaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want a slice of this.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2021, 02:00:32 PM »
Need to try this method for wings.  Looks good Pete!