Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Episode 71 - A Little Hair of the Dog  (Read 1973 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing Episode 71 - A Little Hair of the Dog
« on: July 18, 2018, 12:36:58 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-71-little-hair-dog

It's our annual post conference wrapup and we hit the latest in beer news, look at some new books and revisit some really old brews. And then in the lounge, Drew sits down with the iconic craft brew veteran, Alan Sprints of Hair of the Dog. We taste some beers and talk about his unqiue take on building beers. There's even one beer that Drew thought should be a mess, but was amazingly sublime.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimental Brewing Episode 71 - A Little Hair of the Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:41:08 pm »
@Denny I decided to brew your Altbier recipe (with a couple of modifications) for our club group brew this weekend after listening. When I followed the link to get the recipe I saw that this was your first AG brew! I've been brewing for a while now, you've been at it longer--what, if any, changes would you make if you were going to develop and brew this recipe today? And what AG batch would you guesstimate you're on now?!

Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 08:44:21 am »
@Denny I decided to brew your Altbier recipe (with a couple of modifications) for our club group brew this weekend after listening. When I followed the link to get the recipe I saw that this was your first AG brew! I've been brewing for a while now, you've been at it longer--what, if any, changes would you make if you were going to develop and brew this recipe today? And what AG batch would you guesstimate you're on now?!

Cheers!

The second question is the easy one....I just brewed number 532.  As to the recipe, as I said on the podcast, it's been a long (first brewed 2/27/99) time so who knows how accurate my memory is.  But given that, I don't think I'd change anything.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 09:34:15 am »

Cheers!

The second question is the easy one....I just brewed number 532.  As to the recipe, as I said on the podcast, it's been a long (first brewed 2/27/99) time so who knows how accurate my memory is.  But given that, I don't think I'd change anything.
Thank you sir! I kinda wish I'd kept track of all my brew, I have zero idea how many I've got under my belt!

My LHBS didn't have Spalter and I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch, so here's my planned recipe for around a 4.5 ABV, 30 IBU version

5# pilsner malt
5# Munich 10
4oz chocolate
4oz Caramunich I

1oz Tettnang FWH
1oz Celeia FWH
.5oz Saaz FWH
1oz Celeia whirlpool

34/70

Short & Shoddy 30 min mash and boil
Ferment at 66

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 09:49:21 am »

Cheers!

Thank you sir! I kinda wish I'd kept track of all my brew, I have zero idea how many I've got under my belt!

My LHBS didn't have Spalter and I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch, so here's my planned recipe for around a 4.5 ABV, 30 IBU version

5# pilsner malt
5# Munich 10
4oz chocolate
4oz Caramunich I

1oz Tettnang FWH
1oz Celeia FWH
.5oz Saaz FWH
1oz Celeia whirlpool

34/70

Short & Shoddy 30 min mash and boil
Ferment at 66

I'd lose the whirlpool hops (shouldn't be a hop aroma) and add a 60 min. addition (or 30, since that's what you're doing).  I'd also ferment at a lower temp and don't forget several weeks of cold conditioning.  I've always felt that really made a difference.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:53:24 am »
What do you feel you get out of the 60 (or 30 in this case) minute addition that you don't get from FWH? I know the "smoother bitterness" thing is just anecdotal and I think either y'all or the Brulosophy crew even did an experiment that came out insignificant when comparing FWH to a traditional 60 minute addition.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 10:08:52 am »
What do you feel you get out of the 60 (or 30 in this case) minute addition that you don't get from FWH? I know the "smoother bitterness" thing is just anecdotal and I think either y'all or the Brulosophy crew even did an experiment that came out insignificant when comparing FWH to a traditional 60 minute addition.

To me, the smoother bitterness is not anecdotal.  I can detect it.  FWIW, on most beers these days I do both a FWH and a 60.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 10:25:42 am »
It's been too long since I was last at the Stuffed Sandwich.  I need to get back there sometime.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 11:09:22 am »
It's been too long since I was last at the Stuffed Sandwich.  I need to get back there sometime.

Makes my mouth water the way Drew describes it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 11:17:31 am »

Makes my mouth water the way Drew describes it.

Is one of my favorite places.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison