Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Native American beer  (Read 2613 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Native American beer
« on: July 17, 2018, 03:24:42 am »
I have a friend that is Navajo/Dine and I told them I would try to make them a traditional Native American beer for their birthday. From what I have read I mostly find some kind of corn beer, like chicha for a recipe.   I have also seen recipes that recommend brown sugar, orange peel, and cinnamon; tesgüino is also something I have found as well as tiswin/nawai drink, though sauargo are sacred and federally protected and I’m not sure how I would get any of that to make a drink with.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I might be able to create like a pueblonian ale from the past, or a drink that has some historical significance to the southwest?

Corn seems easiest. I could probably pillage some prickly pear pretty easily. I heard use native grass for hops.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Native American beer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:58:14 am »
I can't help much but if this is any help... Haus Malts in Cleveland, OH is producing malted corn.  They say it doesn't have a lot of enzymes but some.  I remember reading that some Native American beers have used malted corn (so much more appealing than chewed and, you know....)  Maybe level of  enzymes isn't a big deal because my impression is that these beers aren't very fully fermented. Others are probably producing this too, but Haus Malts does sell to homebrewers by the 10lb bag.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:10:42 am »
Tiswin made from Saguaro cactus would not be traditional, as the Navajo lands are out of the Sonaoran desert. That was something the Tohono O’odham made.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:20:41 pm »
Tiswin made from Saguaro cactus would not be traditional, as the Navajo lands are out of the Sonaoran desert. That was something the Tohono O’odham made.
Yea I know. I suppose I’m looking for something within my region. Tbh I’ve never seen seen fruit on a saruaro, just flowers.
Maybe I will just wing it with corn, juniper, and some sage. Who knows.

Offline leecase99

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 09:41:08 am »
I recently read a book about creating ancient brews using old world techniques, Ancient Brews, and a few of these brews from antiquity are from Mexico, Peru, and Honduras. You might find a few ideas or approaches useful for your brew-build. Book can be found anywhere, posting the dogfish head link (Sam Calagione wrote the Foreword in the book). Good luck!  8)

https://www.dogfish.com/shop/art-home/home-office/books/ancient-brews-rediscovered-and-recreated

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
Right now this is what I got

From the book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers. I think I’d go the 6lbs of brown sugar route over the malted barely route. Any thoughts on that? Or what yeast to use?