Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 1080 times)

Offline bigjim810

• 1st Kit
Newbie Question
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:46:53 am »
Hello Everyone! I am very new to brewing and am still getting my equipment together. I have a question about using 5gal pickle buckets ( the ones you can get at Firehouse Subs) for fermentation. Is there anyway to get that pickle stink out of them and if not would that stink effect the end product? I would be very grateful with any help you guys could give me.
Thanks
Jim

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:28:43 am »
Yes, those odors could definitely permeate your beer which would really bum you out (unless you're going for that flavor).  I'm all about doing things on the cheap but for $20 or less you can get a new 6.5 gallon food grade fermentation bucket with lid and spigot.  On craigslist you can find them for less as local homebrewers are always selling off their equipment as they upgrade.
If you do try to clean out the smell I'd start by soaking it in oxyclean or pbw (professional brewers wash).  You don't want anything too harsh that could etch the plastic making it harder to sanitize before fermenting. 

On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:09:20 pm »
On the cheap... Lowe's has 5 gallon Food Grade buckets with a lid for less than 5 bucks. drill the lid with a step bit and your in business. :)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:45:12 am »
On the cheap... Lowe's has 5 gallon Food Grade buckets with a lid for less than 5 bucks. drill the lid with a step bit and your in business. :)

+1

However, I believe you might need a rubber grommet for the hole to get a tight seal for the airlock.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 07:00:15 am »

+1

However, I believe you might need a rubber grommet for the hole to get a tight seal for the airlock.
Yes, totally forgot about the grommet... Also a Lowes item :)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline brew inspector01

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:19:06 pm »
Or one of those 5 gallon RO water jugs found in machines outside grocery stores. Use the water to brew with then you have a fermentation vessel.

Just need the rubber plug and airlock. I had one with a plastic cap and a perfect size hole for an airlock.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk