Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The benefits of letting your dog play with puzzles  (Read 1193 times)

Offline vellawitting

• 1st Kit
The benefits of letting your dog play with puzzles
« on: May 07, 2021, 12:22:07 am »
In addition to the fact that they are entertaining for the pups, there are a number of other factors that have dog parents enthusiastic about puzzle games today. They are advertised as instruments to occupy a bored dog, calm separation anxiety in young puppies, develop your dog's nose and desk abilities, and strengthen their legs while strongly enticing involvement so that it counts as exercise. You'll probably require some of the suggested frequent dog exercises from DogCutiesHQ: https://dogcutieshq.com. Learn how to train your dog's mind in this post.

Puzzles and games to help dogs relieve stress

Dogs get bored when they are left alone at home or when they don't get enough regular mental and physical exercise. Many dogs love living alone at home without people because they are fairly introverted. However, putting an active and lively dog at home all day equates to limiting them. They'll act naughtily and play with the furnishings in the house, driving you mad. These images are readily available online since various wicked dog breeds, such as Husky, Alaska,...

Therefore, get your dog a dog puzzle to keep them occupied and ensure that they remain calm while you are away. Playing a puzzle game will give your bored dog something to do and keep them from acting destructively.

Make them calm down and eat properly

Many dogs are so obsessed with food that they practically live on it. They will eat the meal quickly once it is brought out. Your dog must be quite hungry because it looks so cute eating that, you would think. But much like humans, eating and drinking too quickly and ingesting a lot of food will make you feel full and cause indigestion, which is worse than stomach pain. Indigestion or vomiting in your dog could be caused by eating less often than usual. Placing some pellets in a dog puzzle is one method for addressing the speed feeding issue. After that, your dog will play a fun game while earning its meal.

Make them improve their memory

It is normal for a dog to forget a person or an object if they are not exposed regularly. Like when you are raising them since they were small for about 1 month, you bring them to someone else to raise. When growing up, some dogs may not recognize you, or it takes a while to realize because then they have not had enough contact time and they are young so they are not aware much.

Giving your puppy a dog puzzle toy is one method for preventing dementia in dogs. A complementing toy will keep your dog's mind engaged because it enables deeper thought and problem-solving in your dog. Or you can refer to this information at DogCutiesHQ if you are not sure about this.

See also: What are the benefits of walking the dog? - DogCutiesHQ

Some games with simple levels

See whether your dog can complete a level 1 game as a starting point. Another option is to give it a Kong toy ball that is packed with peanut butter and watch to see if it can figure out how to reach it. Then, once you become practiced finding the food in the ball, conceal it.

Dogs have an excellent sense of smell, and the majority of them enjoy using it to discover attractive objects. Allow your dog to search for hidden treasures by using his nose and intelligence. You can lead your dog around or walk him on a leash if he needs assistance finding things.

Design your own game for dogs

There are lots of entertaining interactive dog toys available right now; nevertheless, these need problem-solving skills from your dog. You may get dog food dispensers and puzzles for dogs with different levels of difficulty at pet stores.

Even better, you can create your own dog toys at home by drilling holes in plastic or water bottles. Fill a new or previously owned toy with goodies, then encourage your dog to figure out how to get the food out. Alternatively, you can stack three plastic cups and switch them, and the dog will watch to see which cup has food. Teach children how to use their feet to strike the cup in search of gifts.

Summary

Tell them it's very important to let them play puzzle games. Instead of being bored at home, you can play with them in those ways if one day you are lazy to go out. You should also find out some good food for them at DogCutiesHQ that recommends because it is not recommended to use too much food in play.

Puzzle games are great for keeping your dog mentally stimulated, alleviating boredom, dealing with separation anxiety, and more. Try to spend as much time with your pet as possible. Surely these will increase the bond between you and your dog!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 11:43:19 pm by vellawitting »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Tobacco Infused?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:51:26 am »
It would seem more in line with whiskeys, but give it a try with your extract idea - I suggest dosing in the glass first, rather than attempting to dose an entire batch.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Something like adding to a wee heavy, perhaps?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 05:27:57 am »
Another idea would be to use the wood from cigar storage.  Cigar City had a whole "Humidor Series" of beers aged with "Spanish Cedar."  I put that is parentheses because the wood is really some other sort, but they call it that in the cigar box industry.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 05:52:56 am »
Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and the guy next to me was spitting his tobacco dip into his Mickey's big mouth bottle and set his spit bottle down next to my Mickey's big mouth cold beer bottle and I grabbed his by mistake and took a big swig....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 07:41:50 am »
Not a good idea to ingest tobacco. Nicotine is toxic.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 08:29:43 am »

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 10:07:03 am »

THIS
Yeah, nicotine is bad news. Even the amount of nicotine contained in one cigarette could be potentially fatal if ingested orally. (You only inhale a small fraction of the nicotine contained n the tobacco when you smoke a cigarette)

Better to go with other flavors that are reminiscent of cigars to flavor your brew. Cedar, earthy hops, spicy yeast, black pepper, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 10:11:28 am »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 10:30:35 am »
For cigars I have found smoky, oaked and herbal hopped beers go well and a little extra crystal malt to add some sweetness. Cigars destroy the nuances of most beers. They go really well with whiskey though which cuts through the intense smoke flavor.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 05:37:37 pm »
For cigars I have found smoky, oaked and herbal hopped beers go well and a little extra crystal malt to add some sweetness. Cigars destroy the nuances of most beers. They go really well with whiskey though which cuts through the intense smoke flavor.
That's interesting that you mention Crystal malt. I recently started getting back into cigars a bit more often. The only beer of mine they haven't completely overpowered is a crystal-heavy amber that I have on tap right now. Everything else is just too nuanced and gets blown out of the water. Rum and whiskey do work significantly better, and I'd bet that a nice aƱejo or reposado tequila would be phenomenal as well.

Eric B.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 12:36:04 am »
Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and the guy next to me was spitting his tobacco dip into his Mickey's big mouth bottle and set his spit bottle down next to my Mickey's big mouth cold beer bottle and I grabbed his by mistake and took a big swig....

awesome. story?

or more explanation?

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 07:45:44 am »

THIS
Yeah, nicotine is bad news. Even the amount of nicotine contained in one cigarette could be potentially fatal if ingested orally. (You only inhale a small fraction of the nicotine contained n the tobacco when you smoke a cigarette)

Better to go with other flavors that are reminiscent of cigars to flavor your brew. Cedar, earthy hops, spicy yeast, black pepper, etc.

When I was young we raised tobacco on a rental farm without any running water available to us.  We would pull the suckers from the plants by hand (to improve the productivity and increase the quality of the leaves) and in the process get tobacco sap all over our hands.  When lunchtime came around, the best we could do was wipe our hands on a rag.  I've eaten many a sandwich with tobacco sap and accumulated dirt on my hands and not felt any bad effects.  Maybe the dirt neutralized the nicotine.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 07:55:40 am »

THIS

When I was young we raised tobacco on a rental farm without any running water available to us.  We would pull the suckers from the plants by hand (to improve the productivity and increase the quality of the leaves) and in the process get tobacco sap all over our hands.  When lunchtime came around, the best we could do was wipe our hands on a rag.  I've eaten many a sandwich with tobacco sap and accumulated dirt on my hands and not felt any bad effects.  Maybe the dirt neutralized the nicotine.

The dose makes the poison.

If you find Tobacco on the TTB approved list I will admit I am wrong. Prove me wrong.

https://www.acmt.net/Nicotine.html

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 09:35:41 am »

THIS

I'm glad you're here to tell the tale. Nicotine can be fatal at doses as low as 0.5mg/kg. A typical cigarette contains about 10-15mg of nicotine (You only inhale about a tenth of that when you smoke it). Being an alkaloid, nicotine is going to dissolve fairly well in an acidic solution like beer. It is certainly not something anyone should roll the dice on.

Eric B.