Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 41 - Parti In My Pots  (Read 856 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brew Files Podcast Ep. 41 - Parti In My Pots
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:24:47 am »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-41-parti-my-pots

We like to Brew. We like to Party. We like to Parti... <needle scratch>. This week we're going to dive into an old fashioned technique that allows you to brew beautifully strong beers without wasting any left over malty goodness! Two Beers for the Price of One Mash

Parti-Gyle Equations:
        Gravity Points batch 1 = Gravity PointsTotal × SugarPercentage1 / (Volume Batch 1)
        Gravity Points batch 2 = Gravity PointsTotal × SugarPercentage2 / (Volume Batch 2)

Sugar Percentages for 1/3-2/3rd Splits (e.g. 5gallons/10gallons)
            SugarPercentage1 = 0.67
            SugarPercentage2 = 0.33

Sugar Percentages for 1/2-1/2 Splits (e.g. 5gallons/5gallons)
            SugarPercentage1 = 0.58
            SugarPercentage2 = 0.42

To figure out what the "Total Batch" gravity needs to be from a desired Batch 1 gravity

Gravity PointsTotal = (Gravity Points Batch 1 x Volume Batch 1)/(TotalVolume x SugarPercentage1)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 41 - Parti In My Pots
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:47:19 am »
I found this explanation on another forum and used it just a few weeks ago on my first partigyle attempt. It seemed to work as described. Could be that both are saying the same thing but I understood this one much better than similar formulas to the one that Denny posted.

If you want to do a 50/50 split Partigyle take the decimal part of the strongest beer's OG and divide by 2. Then subtract that from the OG. Let's say you want the 1st beer's OG to be 1.088. The second beer's OG is (.088/2)=1.044

to calculate the full 10 gallons OG add the two OG's & divide by 2. (1.088+1.044)/2 = 1.066. Use 1.066 for your target OG for a 10 gallon batch.

“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato