Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Albion Recipe - water questions  (Read 3201 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Albion Recipe - water questions
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 01:49:53 pm »
Given the water quality, the pre-boiling technique would only have minor effect. So I'm less inclined to believe that they would have pre-boiled.

Regarding pre-boiling duration. It should be almost instantaneous upon reaching boil, but the practical required duration is about 15 minutes. That recommendation is well over 100 years old.

I know the spot in town where the Brewers brewery was.  I assume it was municipal water (given the amount of use) versus well water.  Assuming municipal, I wonder if (how) they removed chlorine?  Would they have used campden / known about it?

They probably didn't remove chlorine.  Nobody did back then. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 01:58:06 pm »
What they knew and what they did might not match up.  They did have some guidance from UC Davis.  But then they had a primitive, gravity-fed brewhouse in a shed, hand built from 55gal drums and copper tubing.   I expect they were limited not so much by knowledge as by practical ability to apply it.  All their processes must have been bare-bones minimalist.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Chino Brews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 07:32:44 pm »
Hey, I'm the one who did the research on New Albion Ale. I just noticed this thread!

I don't have any information on the water beyond what is posted. But I have a few general thoughts on this:

1) As far as I know, English brewers harden their water much more than American brewers. Maybe Martin can tell us if I'm off-base on that. Given that a lot of the homebrewing and available professional brewing knowledge in 1976 was of English provenance, it wouldn't be surprising to me that they were truly hardening the water to Barley's recollection based on English practices.

2) Someone on reddit was disparaging New Albion as if they must have been bumpkins in terms of knowledge. I was able to respond with a quote from Jack McCauliffe to the effect that running New Albion was like three jobs: (a) studying at the library; (b) manufacturing and maintaining the brewery; and (c) brewing and distributing. I don't have the exact quote at hand. The point is that McCauliffe and Barkley were no rubes, were only 50 mi. away from the library at UC-Davis, and had access to the brains of the brewers at Anchor (not to mention some technical assistance from Coors). I am sure they had their water chemistry sorted out.

3) If anyone is skeptical. it would be easy to brew to a more 'modern' water profile and then dose some beer with gypsum to achieve the purported profile stated by Don Barkley. Or you could pick up the phone and call him.

Cheers,
Chino
If how I brew makes you mad or somehow ruins home brewing for you, maybe you need a less stressful hobby than making and drinking beer! :D

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 06:27:31 pm »
Yes, indeed. Some English breweries do mineralize their brewing water to levels that Americans rarely do. Some of the brewing schools do recommend high mineralization and at least one brewing water lab recommends mineralization that I have a hard time justifying. So if Jack's training was under a British brewer, it is possible that the water used to brew his beer was well-mineralized. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Bob Davis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 10:24:30 am »
A few years ago, BYO Magazine had several articles with reference to this beer:

https://byo.com/article/new-albion/
https://byo.com/recipe/new-albion-brewing-new-albion-ale/

It seems you'll need a subscription.  I don't recall if they go into water adjustment.