Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back from a close call  (Read 3360 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Back from a close call
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 02:06:21 pm »
I'm glad you have recovered and are having success in keeping care of yourself.  Welcome back!

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 04:07:13 pm »
I would like to add my welcome back to the others. Your thoughts and insight have been missed.
Ralph R.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 06:43:48 pm »
I saw the yeast genome project post, and there are a lot of questions in my mind.  I previously posted a link to the Dunn and Sherlock publication in which the Ballantine culture BRY-96 (a.k.a. Chico) was shown to be a diploid yeast strain having many of the genetic markers of the saccharomyces cerevisiae parent of saccharomyces pastorianus (https://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2008/09/11/gr.076075.108.full.pdf).  Diploid brewing strains are unique because most brewing strains are polyploids with three (triploid) or four (tetraploid) sets of chromosomes.  The beauty of a diploid strain is that it can undergo sexual reproduction (meiosis) in addition to asexual reproduction (mitosis).  Brewing cultures are produced via mitosis. New yeast strains are produced via meiosis.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 06:31:22 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 07:03:32 pm »
I saw the yeast genome project post, and there are a lot of questions in my mind.  I previously posted a link to the Dunn and Sherlock publication in which the Ballantine culture BRY-96 (a.k.a. Chico) was shown to be a diploid yeast strain having many of the genetic markers of the saccharomyces cerevisiae parent of saccharomyces pastorianus (https://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2008/09/11/gr.076075.108.full.pdf).  Diploid brewing strains are unique because most brewing strains a polyploids with three (triploid) or four (tetraploid) sets of chromosomes.  The beauty of a diploid strain is that it can undergo sexual reproduction (meiosis) in addition to asexual reproduction (mitosis).  Brewing cultures are produced via mitosis. New yeast strains are produced via meiosis.

There was a session in Portland you will love when it gets posted on the AHA site. A Prof at U of WA tracked genetic changes through sreial repitches at Post Doc Brewing  (Dr. Tom Schmidlen used to be on here before he went pro). I think you will enjoy it, as it was one of the Chico strains IIRC.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 04:28:52 am »
Wow, I'm glad to hear you are recovering well.  Keep in good health and hope to see you posting again regularly. 
I'm off to make an SNS starter for today's kölsch. 

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 06:43:20 am »
There was a session in Portland you will love when it gets posted on the AHA site. A Prof at U of WA tracked genetic changes through sreial repitches at Post Doc Brewing  (Dr. Tom Schmidlen used to be on here before he went pro). I think you will enjoy it, as it was one of the Chico strains IIRC.

What is interesting about a diploid brewing strain is that it is more prone to genetic drift due to having only two sets of chromosomes.  The polyploids are more drift resistant because they can have more than one copy of a beneficial allele.  The fact that so many of the brewing strains are polyploids has to be due to serial repitching.  Serial repitching is an example of selective pressure on an organism. 

Offline WhiteHausBrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 11:36:29 pm »
I was only recently introduced to your Shaken, not Stirred starter method (3 weeks after building my own stir plate of course) and I was sad to hear you weren't active on here any longer. One of my favorite topics since I started brewing 9 months ago has been learning about yeast - I have much to learn but reading through some of your old posts has been fascinating!  Sounds like you've had quite a crazy last few years but glad to hear you're back :-)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 08:06:47 pm »
Glad to hear you're still with us Sacch.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline jFrode

• 1st Kit
Back from a close call
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 01:30:25 pm »
Good to have you back. Your old contributions continues to be valuable reading. Stay healthy. Btw, your writing made me make starters when using Bry-97. After that, all the criticism of I have read people have towards this dry yeast, does not apply as far as I am concerned. So you sir have a part in me making better beer with what now has become to be my favorite dry yeast strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:36:57 pm by jFrode »

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 04:35:35 pm »
Good to have you back. Your old contributions continues to be valuable reading. Stay healthy. Btw, your writing made me make starters when using Bry-97. After that, all the criticism of I have read people have towards this dry yeast, does not apply as far as I am concerned. So you sir have a part in me making better beer with what now has become to be my favorite dry yeast strain.

I must have missed that about 97. I may have to revisit that, thanks.

Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 04:39:54 pm »
Mark that is great news. Healthcare can be so difficult. Hope it stays on the right track for you.

Jeff B

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 06:04:21 pm »
Welcome back. Kale, excersize & beer. Stay well