Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sucrose addition had no impact on degrees Brix  (Read 985 times)

Offline andersen

• 1st Kit
Sucrose addition had no impact on degrees Brix
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:57:49 pm »
I collected roughly 12 gallons of 8.25 degrees Brix wort in my brew kettle and then added 1 pound of sucrose to the kettle pre boil.  I then took another reading and found it to be 8.25 Brix.  No change.  I expected the addition of pure sugar to increase the reading at least a little bit.

Any ideas? I usually do not add sugar to my brew. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Sucrose addition had no impact on degrees Brix
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:30:31 pm »
sounds like it just dropped to the bottom of the kettle. Heavier and colder than the wort.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 05:43:01 am »
Yes, I can't imagine that the sugar actually dissolved into the wort. The other phenomena that could be at work is the fact that the upper surface of wort will segregate slightly when its still. It is necessary to freshly mix wort or collect your sample from deep under the surface to have a representative sample.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline andersen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 07:21:07 am »
Yes, I can't imagine that the sugar actually dissolved into the wort. The other phenomena that could be at work is the fact that the upper surface of wort will segregate slightly when its still. It is necessary to freshly mix wort or collect your sample from deep under the surface to have a representative sample.
Thank you both. This all makes sense. I did stir vigorously before taking the post sucrose addition reading but maybe that was insufficient.  The post boil reading was 10 degrees Brix compared to 8.25 degrees Brix pre boil. This is perhaps a bit larger difference pre and post boil compared to my typical evaporation rate after a 60 minute boil. I expected a larger impact from the sucrose addition.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk