Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Seminars  (Read 2883 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: NHC Seminars
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 09:20:26 am »
Waving the flag...
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 03:36:39 pm »
Waving the flag...

Thanks. If there is someone at AHA that I should contact directly, please let me know.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Brew.Drink.Repeat.

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 07:04:13 pm »
Not impatient... but not sure why it takes three months to get them posted, either. (And IIRC this year took significantly longer than years past.) GABF wouldn't be impacting this if they'd been posted back in July... or even August.

Most conferences I attend that do a similar thing get them posted within a week or so, and more often than not within a couple of days / within the first week post-conference.
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565

South Jersey Fermentation Club (formerly Barley Legal Homebrewers)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 09:07:55 am »
While I believe it’s great a conference is held, I also believe it should be evident that a very large majority of the membership did not attend in person.  I disagree that I should have to pay some sort of passive dominant penance for my inability to travel annually to the NW, N, and NE to get information along with a small minority of this association. In this age of technology and information flow, all members should share equally in the benefit that we even have a conference.

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 11:23:33 am »
Hi all,

I want to chime in with an explanation for the delay in posting these, and the fact that some of them are without an accompanying recording. The Oregon Convention Center's A/V team failed to record several presentations. We were extremely disappointed to hear about this failure shortly after the conference concluded, and it has been an arduous task to get the seminars that they succeeded in recording from them.

Here is a brief re-cap, as summed up by the Oregon Convention Center's A/V director:

It was a combination of things – equipment and human failure. A perfect storm as they say.

We subcontracted the recording piece as we were tapped for people and inventory by that point- 2 weeks out. So, that put our vendor under pressure to find six capable people. They’re a great partner and we’ve never had any issues with them in the past.

One of the techs was obviously out of his depth and messed up all but one of his records out of three days worth of sessions. This despite my checking in everyday, at least twice and having one of our staff on hand if he needed anything.

A hard drive failed on one day losing three sessions.

One of my techs mysteriously missed a session.

I missed that they had two sessions from 2pm - 4pm on the last day when all the rest of the rooms were turning.

I can think of things I would do differently and some of this was just bad luck too. Very frustrating.

I appreciate everyone's patience, and I know that it was difficult to wait this long without an explanation. We hope that you all enjoy the seminars now that they have been posted. If you have any issues with a particular seminar, please email me and I will be happy to help: matt@brewersassociation.org

Thanks, all! Happy brewing!
Matt Bolling

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 12:33:41 pm »
Thanks for that info, Matt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 02:54:27 pm »
While disappointing, it’s at least understandable. After all, we’re human. 

It certainly would have been nicer to know there was a problem up front vs waiting three months, then told to be patient while the gang is at another conference, then finally, hey uh... we messed up.

C'est la vie — time for a homebrew and just file it under ‘bad news rarely improves with time’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 04:53:41 pm »
While disappointing, it’s at least understandable. After all, we’re human. 

It certainly would have been nicer to know there was a problem up front vs waiting three months, then told to be patient while the gang is at another conference, then finally, hey uh... we messed up.

C'est la vie — time for a homebrew and just file it under ‘bad news rarely improves with time’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! The problem must have been known in July. Why wait until September to announce it?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 07:43:22 pm »
I only found out about the problems the day before the post from Matt.

With all the tracks at a conference, you can only see a small percentage. I wanted to see many of them too.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 11:13:19 am »
Super disappointed. As always, there are seminars we have to miss because you can't be in two (or three!) places at once.

I usually download the audio and listen to the ones I did not attend as I'm driving around for work.

Any so-called A/V company that can't handle basic recording, and isn't simultaneously recording to multiple drives / RAID and backing them up simply shouldn't be in that business. Period. Utter ineptitude IMO. You get one chance to capture the event, there is no margin for error (and this was not a simple, singular error but gross negligence.)  :(

And what's up with taking three months to get the files from them????
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 03:05:09 pm »
Just a quick additional note: I'm a little disappointed that for the ones where video exists, they are only available as a video download.

Should be really easy for the media company (and very useful to the membership) to have both a video and an audio-only download option. Of course this particular media company was clearly incompetent but in general when they are processing the video it should be easy to save out just the audio component.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I like to listen to the audio in the car while I'm driving for work; my phone will not play video if someone else is the "front" app (which is usually my navigation).

Just my 0.17 (adjusted for inflation).
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:31 pm »
Having an audio only file is a good point. We will bring that up as an 'improvement' for our conference proceedings.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:47:05 pm by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 04:49:34 pm »
Having an audio only file a good point. We will bring that up as an 'improvement' for our conference proceedings.

For those of us who cannot travel it would be awesome if the GC can address this so we can ‘participate’ vicariously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Conference
  • Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 06:43:53 am »
Having an audio only file is a good point. We will bring that up as an 'improvement' for our conference proceedings.

Thanks Martin!
Brian Pylant
BJCP National B0565