Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Grassy" flavor  (Read 7080 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: "Grassy" flavor
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 12:34:17 pm »
I've always gotten a grassy character when I've dry hopped with cascade, sometimes to the point of having to dump the beer. So I don't dry hop with it anymore.

And I've dry hopped with Cascade hundreds of times and never gotten it.  How many times did it happen to you?  Were all the batches from the same lot of hops?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 12:51:54 pm »
I've always gotten a grassy character when I've dry hopped with cascade, sometimes to the point of having to dump the beer. So I don't dry hop with it anymore.

And I've dry hopped with Cascade hundreds of times and never gotten it.  How many times did it happen to you?  Were all the batches from the same lot of hops?

Three batches over the span of about a year. Had to dump two of them, the grassiness was so bad. Don't know what lot(s) they came from, but they were all from different orders/bags. To be fair, this was a few years ago. Haven't used cascade on the cold side since then because I'm a bit gun shy with it now.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 12:58:02 pm »
I'm drinking a batch dry hopped with Cascade right now.  Not grassy, I just find it lacks the punch I've accustomed myself to with Simcoe.  Palate wrecked.  ;)  Seriously, one thing I do find is more vegetal or chlorophyll like character dry hopping with pellets rather than whole cones.  Is that perceived by some as "grassiness?"
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 12:59:40 pm »

Three batches over the span of about a year. Had to dump two of them, the grassiness was so bad. Don't know what lot(s) they came from, but they were all from different orders/bags. To be fair, this was a few years ago. Haven't used cascade on the cold side since then because I'm a bit gun shy with it now.

And again, I've used it for cold dry hopping for 20 years, probably at least a hundred batches, with hops from 3 different suppliers I can think of.  Not once have I experienced grassiness.  Kinda strange, huh?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 05:45:10 pm »
Seriously, one thing I do find is more vegetal or chlorophyll like character dry hopping with pellets rather than whole cones.  Is that perceived by some as "grassiness?"

Possibly. But the grassiness from dry hops I'm talking about comes across, to my palate, as similar to eating a raw snap pea, i.e. a perfumey, chlorophyll, "green" flavor. I've only ever dry hopped with pellets, though--and usually with great success, except for that darn cascade!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2018, 09:16:23 am »
I'm drinking a batch dry hopped with Cascade right now.  Not grassy, I just find it lacks the punch I've accustomed myself to with Simcoe.  Palate wrecked.  ;)  Seriously, one thing I do find is more vegetal or chlorophyll like character dry hopping with pellets rather than whole cones.  Is that perceived by some as "grassiness?"
I don't just get that from dry-hopping, I get that from big whirlpool additions with pellets as well. I don't know if I'd call it exactly grassy, but more like rough/dirty/stemmy - like licking a hop pellet.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 07:02:48 pm »
My experience with grassiness in my home brews come mostly from using wet hops and from oxidation.  As to oxidation, the fresh hop  quality had faded  allowing the grassiness to become apparent.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Would dry hopping with an old /oxidized hop contribute more to the grassy flavor than one used for primary bittering? Seems like dry hopping would be the dominate factor?

Yes, I don't get grassiness from bittering additions.   When I was talking of oxdiation, I was talking about oxidation of beer, but I supposed old hops might come off grassier than new hops to the extent that the primary aromas and flavors have faded.

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 08:48:08 am »
My experience with grassiness in my home brews come mostly from using wet hops and from oxidation.  As to oxidation, the fresh hop  quality had faded  allowing the grassiness to become apparent.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Would dry hopping with an old /oxidized hop contribute more to the grassy flavor than one used for primary bittering? Seems like dry hopping would be the dominate factor?

Yes, I don't get grassiness from bittering additions.   When I was talking of oxdiation, I was talking about oxidation of beer, but I supposed old hops might come off grassier than new hops to the extent that the primary aromas and flavors have faded.

I see. I do have a newer bag of Cascade that's unopened. I may try that next time for the dry hopping and use the current opened bag for the bittering addition.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The Beerery

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 09:40:19 am »
Seriously, one thing I do find is more vegetal or chlorophyll like character dry hopping with pellets rather than whole cones.  Is that perceived by some as "grassiness?"

Possibly. But the grassiness from dry hops I'm talking about comes across, to my palate, as similar to eating a raw snap pea, i.e. a perfumey, chlorophyll, "green" flavor. I've only ever dry hopped with pellets, though--and usually with great success, except for that darn cascade!

I get the same thing from cascade as well.

OP was it grassy or vegetal? I get vegetal right away from beers with a lot of bittering ( read boiled long) hops. I pick it up right away in beers say... Two hearted as well.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 04:05:12 pm »

I get the same thing from cascade as well.

OP was it grassy or vegetal? I get vegetal right away from beers with a lot of bittering ( read boiled long) hops. I pick it up right away in beers say... Two hearted as well.

So, Centennial, as well as Cascade?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 05:48:37 am »
Always, always, always, first ask yourself the question: Are the judges full of crap?!  I would say that about 60% judges put out an unfortunate high level of crap.

Only after you answer that question can we answer any other questions.

Good question....The only one there that owned a brewery rated it the highest (41/50). Although 2 of the others said it was a little grassy. I'll admit - I don't have the best palette.

Grassy in a 41 point beer is a description, not a criticism.  Not everything written on a score sheet is a flaw.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 06:52:17 am »
Always, always, always, first ask yourself the question: Are the judges full of crap?!  I would say that about 60% judges put out an unfortunate high level of crap.

Only after you answer that question can we answer any other questions.

Good question....The only one there that owned a brewery rated it the highest (41/50). Although 2 of the others said it was a little grassy. I'll admit - I don't have the best palette.

Grassy in a 41 point beer is a description, not a criticism.  Not everything written on a score sheet is a flaw.

Very well said.  There really are no flaws with a 41-point beer.  Either that, or there is potentially a flaw with the judge in that he scored it too high if there really is a flaw.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.