Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Episode 72 - Questing for Answers  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Experimental Brewing Episode 72 - Questing for Answers
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 05:55:39 pm »
For the guy who was asking about where to purchase 10 gallon corny kegs, CHI Company carries them (both new and refurbished).  Like you mentioned, they aren't cheap, but they're still my favorite fermentors.

https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/ball-pin-lock-kegs-parts/ball-lock-kegs

Thanks!
Yes, thanks.  These are really attractive, probably well worth the price.  I hope so,  because I just ordered one.  :)
So I got my new 10gal today, with one problem.  Lid wouldn't seat.  Called Chi Co., a few pics and texts, and they identified the issue:  die improperly struck the top opening.  They gave me simple instructions to reshape it with basic hand tools, walked me through it, and sent my pics and a heads-up to their factory in PA (yes, made in USA) where this item is on the line right now (they saw this on a few several years ago.)  So I think I've got a good seal now, it's a dream of a fermenter if so, didnt have to ship it back, and these guys have top-notch customer service.  My new first place to look for kegs and parts.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:05:24 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 06:43:05 pm »
For the guy who was asking about where to purchase 10 gallon corny kegs, CHI Company carries them (both new and refurbished).  Like you mentioned, they aren't cheap, but they're still my favorite fermentors.

https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/ball-pin-lock-kegs-parts/ball-lock-kegs

Thanks!
Yes, thanks.  These are really attractive, probably well worth the price.  I hope so,  because I just ordered one.  :)
So I got my new 10gal today, with one problem.  Lid wouldn't seat.  Called Chi Co., a few pics and texts, and they identified the issue:  die improperly struck the top opening.  They gave me simple instructions to reshape it with basic hand tools, walked me through it, and sent my pics and a heads-up to their factory in PA (yes, made in USA) where this item is on the line right now (they saw this on a few several years ago.)  So I think I've got a good seal now, it's a dream of a fermenter if so, didnt have to ship it back, and these guys have top-notch customer service.  My new first place to look for kegs and parts.
Kind of disappointing though that they wouldn't pressure test as part of their QA before shipping.

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 07:30:21 pm »
^^^^
True, but all's well that ends well.  If it's in production now I wonder if they just pulled one off the line to fulfil my order.  They were super helpful and responsive anyway.   Bet QA gets a review after this.  On the upside, this thing is not just made in the USA, it's made like an old Detroit behemoth, a ton of heavy gauge steel with robust sanitary welds.

(Good thing about this company, it's all vertically integrated.   If I'd bought from a retailer, who bought from random distributors,  who bought from random manufacturers,  I'd have been screwed.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:58:25 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 10:50:55 pm »
^^^^
True, but all's well that ends well.  If it's in production now I wonder if they just pulled one off the line to fulfil my order.  They were super helpful and responsive anyway.   Bet QA gets a review after this.  On the upside, this thing is not just made in the USA, it's made like an old Detroit behemoth, a ton of heavy gauge steel with robust sanitary welds.

(Good thing about this company, it's all vertically integrated.   If I'd bought from a retailer, who bought from random distributors,  who bought from random manufacturers,  I'd have been screwed.)
Yeah, glad to hear they cared enough to walk you through a fix.  I looked hard at these a while back and I'm still considering.  I think this fermenter with a Clear Beer Draught System or shortened diptube could be very effective.  I like the idea of crashing under pressure to avoid o2.  Wish they made an in-between 7.5 gallon.   

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 01:22:43 pm »
Got a text, the problem was caught about 50 kegs into the run, they stopped production to recut the die.  So anybody else ordering these, inspired like me by narcout's tip above, should be good.  I raised the issue of pressure testing, and the response was essentially, "yeah, that would make sense, it is a pressure vessel..."
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio