Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Czech Dark Lager  (Read 8876 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Czech Dark Lager
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 09:12:59 am »
Dehusked still has a little more than half of the husk left. Wheat had no husk, so it will have the least roasts character.

From the Briess seminar at NHC.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 05:31:05 pm »
Dehusked still has a little more than half of the husk left. Wheat had no husk, so it will have the least roasts character.

From the Briess seminar at NHC.

I had never heard that before and thought it was pretty interesting.  If I recall correctly, the presenter also said that blackprinz is actually made from a huskless variety of barley and therefore is also 100% husk free.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 10:31:56 am »
This beer turned out pretty nice, a little lighter colored than I wanted but it was very smooth and balanced. It think it could of used a little more malty back bone and a bit more caramunich. Since I have a sack of Red X to play with I'm going to give this a try.

Red X 71%
Pils 18%
Caramunich 9%
Debittered Carafa III 2%

I thought about bumping up the caramunich but the Red X is supposily a blend of Munich, Melanoiden and some kind of Cara malt so maybe I don't need as much? This malt bill should come in around 20 SRM, I want it dark with a reddish hue.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 12:46:07 pm »

This beer turned out pretty nice, a little lighter colored than I wanted but it was very smooth and balanced. It think it could of used a little more malty back bone and a bit more caramunich. Since I have a sack of Red X to play with I'm going to give this a try.

Red X 71%
Pils 18%
Caramunich 9%
Debittered Carafa III 2%

I thought about bumping up the caramunich but the Red X is supposily a blend of Munich, Melanoiden and some kind of Cara malt so maybe I don't need as much? This malt bill should come in around 20 SRM, I want it dark with a reddish hue.

I wanna a sample :).

Red X is not a blend. It is a base malt that they developed by "accident". Then it took Best malt another year to recreate the accident. At least I was told that by sales rep.

If you want more malty beer I would replace some portion of Red X with Munich 2. Make it the same proportion as your Pilsner. I do not know what is enzymatic power of Red X.

Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 12:50:22 pm »

Red X 71%
Pils 18%
Caramunich 9%
Debittered Carafa III 2%

From what I understand, Red X is simply a specially kilned base malt that gives a red color. Best Malz says that the reddest beer results from using Red X as 100% of the grist at 1.050 OG. In my experience, the flavor is in the ballpark of Light Munich malt.

I think your recipe looks like it should get you close to what you're looking for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

rabeb25

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »
Personally for a czech dark I would have went the route of 99% floor malted bohemian dark malt 1% carafa II.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 05:05:40 pm »

Red X 71%
Pils 18%
Caramunich 9%
Debittered Carafa III 2%

I wanna a sample :).

Red X is not a blend. It is a base malt that they developed by "accident". Then it took Best malt another year to recreate the accident. At least I was told that by sales rep.

If you want more malty beer I would replace some portion of Red X with Munich 2. Make it the same proportion as your Pilsner. I do not know what is enzymatic power of Red X.

Good luck.

When I searched around to find out what this malt was I came across a couple threads in other forums that said they found out from someone who worked there that it was a blend. I tried emailing them twice to find out but received no reply.

I know it makes a great malty red with 100% at 1.050. I also just made an Amber lager mixing in Red X, Pils, and a bit of Caramunich, should be ready in a month. If you make the meetings you may get a sample.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 05:08:43 pm »
Personally for a czech dark I would have went the route of 99% floor malted bohemian dark malt 1% carafa II.
I've been wanting to try that malt but our club buy didn't have any weyermann so I have a sack of Best Pils and Best Red X to use up.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:14 pm »

I've been wanting to try that malt but our club buy didn't have any weyermann so I have a sack of Best Pils and Best Red X to use up.

You can compare FM Bohemian Dark to Munich 2. 99% of FM BD and 1% of carafa 2 is not dark enough.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 07:21:40 am »

You can compare FM Bohemian Dark to Munich 2. 99% of FM BD and 1% of carafa 2 is not dark enough.

Unless you do a long decoction boil

Offline homebrew212

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 09:30:24 am »
I'm looking at making a bolder example since I've got a nice slurry of WLP833 to repitch, what do you think of this...too roasty?

83% Munich
6.7% Wheat Malt
5.0% CaraMunich I
2.5% BlackPrintz Malt(500L-dehusked)
2.3% Pale Chocolate Malt (225L)
0.4% Roasted Barley

Then hop to near Bo Pils levels with Saaz

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 08:13:23 am »
Gordon has one in his new book.  Recipe looks good!

Resurfacing this old thread... has anyone (besides Gordon of course!) brewed either of the two Dark Czech Lagers in Gordon's "Modern Homebrew Recipes" ?? Interested in trying one of them soon.

Offline Fredd_Wils0n

• 1st Kit
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 12:44:30 am »
Pilsner and dark caramel malts with the addition of debittered roasted malts are most common, but additions of Vienna or Munich malt are also appropriate. Low mineral content water, Saazer-type hops, Czech lager yeast. Any fruity esters are typically from malt, not yeast.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Czech Dark Lager
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 05:10:19 am »
I have a Dark Czech Lager lagering now. I used 78% Pils, 10% Munich II, 10% Caramunich II, and 2% Carafa Special II.  I am looking forward to my last day of work to tap it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:29:53 pm by BrewBama »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 05:40:13 am »
I just entered one in a competition that I had intended to be a Vienna Lager, but reading the BJCP guidelines it more closely resembled a Czech Dark Lager.  It was 100% Vienna malt from my brother's malt house, Double Eagle, in Philly.  It turned out darker and maltier than the intended style.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995