Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging my first Amber Ale  (Read 2446 times)

Offline GYPSYDANGER87

• 1st Kit
Kegging my first Amber Ale
« on: June 22, 2018, 12:34:29 pm »
Good afternoon Everyone - looking to get some feedback from a few kegging vets.  I kegged my first beer ever (Amber Ale) yesterday afternoon and would like to get it carbed by tonight (I am impatient). 

I racked the beer directly from my primary into my sanitized keg at room temp, connected the Co2 at 30 PSI, purged the O2 and let it chill over night in the fridge at around 38 deg to increase Co2 absorption.

I plan to go home this afternoon, turn off CO2 and bleed the headspace, then set to serving pressure and sample.  I dont expect to see a significant amount of carbonation yet.

Heres my question:  now that the solution is cold and has been at 30 PSI for 24 hours, is it worth the risk to agitate the beer in order to speed up carbonation (worried I might over shoot 2.5 vols after 24 hours at 30 PSI) or should I stay on the safe side and let it sit for another 24-30 hours and let it continue to carbonate? 

Any advice would be extremely helpful! 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Kegging my first Amber Ale
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 01:27:43 pm »
If I want to quick carb a beer I keep it at 30psi for 30 to 36 hours and then turn it down to serving pressure. 
In another 24 to s6 hours it's usually well carbonated. I add gelatin to the keg before transferring beer so the finings are working as it carbonates.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:23:38 pm »
You could turn off the pressure, shake the keg, turn the keg over and shake it again in order to fast carbonate so you can drink today.  Of course, this will shake up all the sediment.  If the pressure drops below your desired pressure, open and close the valve and shake again.   

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:14:58 am »
Just crank it up and go down to serving pressure and if it’s not there crank it up again.  Learn from your experience. I’ve quick carbed beers, had friends force in co2 and roll them around for 30 minutes. Etc.

Now that I have a nice keg rotation going I just carb at 20 psi and wait a while.
I feel like rushing is never worth it in the long run when it comes to beer.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:04:35 am »
If I want to quick carb a beer I keep it at 30psi for 30 to 36 hours and then turn it down to serving pressure. 
In another 24 to s6 hours it's usually well carbonated. I add gelatin to the keg before transferring beer so the finings are working as it carbonates.
+1

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:28:11 am »
I understand the desire to sample your latest brew, but better results are gained from allowing your beer to carb over the course of a few days rather than shaking it all up (IMO). Leave it at 30 psi for a couple days, then drop it to serving pressure for a couple more days. After that it should be fairly ready to go!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 10:52:38 pm »
If you do shake it to carb etc., you could also be shaking the sediment around.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 11:48:11 am »
I have shaken and not shaken.  If the beer is good, it will be good no matter how you carbonate as long as no oxygen gets in.  just make sure you have a good check valve to protect your regulator.  oh.  the shaken keg may have a bit of bite for a couple days.  i also suggest dropping the pressure low to dispense and using cold glassware.  this is what I also do for my beergun.  it might do nothing at all by ut it seems to work for me.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:04:57 pm »
Don't shake. It already started to drop clear. Keep it on high pressure another day if necessary. Start your next batch soon, you need to build your inventory so you won't have to rely on high pressure.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 07:16:01 am »
I understand the desire to sample your latest brew, but better results are gained from allowing your beer to carb over the course of a few days rather than shaking it all up (IMO). Leave it at 30 psi for a couple days, then drop it to serving pressure for a couple more days. After that it should be fairly ready to go!

I am also not a fan of "cranking and shaking".  I feel it "bruises" the beer (comment added for humor) and also stirs up the sediment that has already dropped out at the colder temperature.  Reduce the pressure after 30-36 hours and sample it.  If the carbonation is where you want it, set it to serving pressure.  If not, give it some more time at the higher pressure ( i would maybe go a bit lower, like 15 -20 lbs so you don't overshoot).  Remember, the beer will still absorb CO2 at the lower pressure until it gets to equilibrium.  I sometimes put my saison on tap when it could use a bit more carbonation and it gets there in about a day or two.
I agree that you should brew another batch soon so you have beer on tap and don't have to play the waiting game.  When we get into the second keg of my Amarillo IPA, I always try to brew another batch so I can avoid complaints from my wife if we run out (it's her favorite beer)!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 02:46:12 pm »
In another 24 to s6 hours it's usually well carbonated. ...

^^^This. Works great for me!
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197