Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Muntons Carb Tabs  (Read 8857 times)

Offline dr.g

• 1st Kit
Muntons Carb Tabs
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:54:47 pm »
There was another post of this a few pages back but I wanted to get a more updated and generalized census. I have a Belgian Wit with some coriander in my secondary and was wondering how the Muntons carb tabs work while bottling. My last batch was unequally carbonated when I mixed in some priming sugar. Do the tabs affect any taste? Or do they work all time time? Basically just wondering which is better for results, using the priming sugar solution, if I mix it better, or the carb tabs?

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Muntons Carb Tabs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »
My two cents (after 4+ years of using priming sugar) is that if you mix the sugar in a little bit of water, boil for 5 to 10 minutes and then pour the boiled sugar solution into the bottom of the bottling bucket before transferring your beer on top, you should be fine with just using priming sugar, and you will find the priming solution well mixed.  It is cheaper, and the process has less chance of getting some sort of infection into your beer than using carb tabs.

Having said that, I have used the Munton’s carb tabs a couple of times.  I used them when I was experimenting on carbonation levels in beers and I wanted to have multiple carbonation levels from a single batch.   I like being able to put one, two, three, or four tabs into a bottle and vary the carbonation level. 

Bottom line is, when I used them, I could not tell the difference in quality between “normal” priming and using the drops. 

As far as sanitation goes, I just opened up some beers that were made three years ago using the tabs, and aside from a distinct sherry note that comes with age, I did not notice anything to make me think that sanitation was an issue.

So I would say, use the drops without fear, remember to keep your hands sanitized, however, (I wear rubber gloves and keep wet with sanitizer when using them) so you do not accidentally contaminate your beer.  Also, pay attention when adding the tabs.  It is easy to get “in the zone” and forget how many and which bottles you have put the tabs into!

Good luck and enjoy!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:35:56 pm »
My two cents (after 4+ years of using priming sugar) is that if you mix the sugar in a little bit of water, boil for 5 to 10 minutes and then pour the boiled sugar solution into the bottom of the bottling bucket before transferring your beer on top, you should be fine with just using priming sugar, and you will find the priming solution well mixed.  It is cheaper, and the process has less chance of getting some sort of infection into your beer than using carb tabs.

+1  This is how I do it as well and rarely get uneven carbonation in my beers.  Out of an abundance of caution I usually gently stir it for a minute or so as well but this is likely not necessary
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:45:03 pm »
+1  This is how I do it as well and rarely get uneven carbonation in my beers.  Out of an abundance of caution I usually gently stir it for a minute or so as well but this is likely not necessary

I must have an overabundance of caution, then.  I stir after racking and then again about halfway through bottling (gently stirring, of course).
Joe

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:29:35 am »
I used the muntons carb tabs only once, they left horrible lumps floating on top of the beer. I will never use again!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 06:56:04 pm »
The one time I skipped the overabundance of caution, the carbonation turned out uneven... not horrendously but enough that some bottles were under-carbed, some over, etc.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:15:27 pm »
I do the sugar in the bottling bucket, and haven't had a problem with uneven carbonation.

Carb tabs just seem like a rather expensive way of packaging the sugar to me, but I can see the merit in convenience.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:08 pm »
I do the sugar in the bottling bucket, and haven't had a problem with uneven carbonation.

Carb tabs just seem like a rather expensive way of packaging the sugar to me, but I can see the merit in convenience.

I only had the uneven carbonation when I overlooked the gentle stir (and mid-bottling re-stir). Just one or two strokes but it appears to make a difference.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:06:26 am »
I typically add my priming mixture to the bucket and it will mix as you siphon your beer into it. I've only had problems when I forget to add my priming sugar until after I rack my beer.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 03:16:14 pm »
I used the muntons carb tabs only once, they left horrible lumps floating on top of the beer. I will never use again!

I had this same issue as well, but it was several years ago.  I haven't used them since, though I recently bought a fresh bag.

This was posted on Techtalk at the time (years ago) and was a common problem at the time. 

IIRC there was either a bad batch of carb tabs that left these waxy lumps or else it was something that they (Munton's) otherwise claimed to have fixed.

As far as carbonation, I've found that they work just fine and produce the right amount of carbonation when used per the instructions.

I've also used Cooper's Carbonation Drops and these work quite well also.  Never had the lumpy waxy floaty stuff.  However, the Cooper's are larger and can take some poking to get them down the neck of the bottle.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton