Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saflager 34/70 lag time  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Saflager 34/70 lag time
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »
"Fast" lager is nothing new. 

I have to disagree. There are some lager strains that clean up quickly and others that don't. But this is in respect to producing great tasting beer. However you can certainly produce a passable lager 'fast'.
Well, the "fast" procedure was the "winter" or "lager" beer process going back centuries; of course with mixed strains originally.  The "summer" or "March (Märzen)" process intentionally lowered the temperature before full attenuation to slow fermentation so that fresh beer would continue to come into supply during the months when brewing was not possible, especially after the 1553 Bavarian prohibition of Summer brewing.  The wide distribution of ice by rail rendered this effectively unnecessary, so that in 1850 the Bavarian law was rescinded,  and by the 1870s fully modern mechanical refrigeration plants made "winter/lager" beer possible anytime, anywhere,  on any scale. I suppose that, as all culture yeasts are the product of intentional selection, the differences you point out that we see in lager yeasts today might trace back to those strains suited to either "lager" or "March" beers, and eventually selected as single-cell cultures by breweries that, for whatever reason, did or did not choose (at the cost of labor, energy, time and tank capacity) to use the longer fermentation and lagering schedules no longer seasonally necessitated. Economy has favored something like the old winter process, which homebrewers have mistaken for new, when its roots really predate the Märzen process.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 06:38:39 pm »
Interesting: What’s old is new again.

I have a Czech Dark Lager fermenting in the 50(s) that will ferment for a couple weeks per the yeast manufacturer’s recommendation, then lager for ~6 weeks.  Besides, if it takes more time and effort it has to be better-right ? 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 11:11:57 am »

I have to disagree. There are some lager strains that clean up quickly and others that don't. But this is in respect to producing great tasting beer. However you can certainly produce a passable lager 'fast'.

You can also produce a great lager fast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 03:34:03 am »

You can also produce a great lager fast.

+1 to this. Made my first Bohemian Pilsner this year using 34/70. Started and ended fermentation at 60f - 62f for 3 week's. Kegged and enjoyed 3 weeks later. Friends and fellow homebrewers were saying it reminded them of Von Trapps pilsner.  Some of those homebrewers who initially said it couldn't be done are now reevaluating that belief.

Things are changing, and the old traditions of doing things are being challenged. Some are falling apart and others proving true. In my opinion and based on my very limited experience with brewing a lager, the lager tradition seems to be slowly succumbing to the pressure.

Don't take my word for it - experiment and give it a go for yourself!
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple