Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling pasteurized beer  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Beernado

• 1st Kit
Bottling pasteurized beer
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:55:15 pm »
My milkshake IPA is infected, but it still smells and tastes great. I’ve decided to pasteurize it instead of throwing it away or bottling it and risking it turn to vinegar, or worse, bottle bombs. The only problem is that I will be bottling, as I am not equipped for kegging. I thought about making 2L yeast starter and repitching just before bottling. It might be relevant to note that I used some K1-V116 to ferment and this strain produces enzymes that kill off other types of yeast, so this is the one I will be using. Will this work? Thanks for any advice.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bottling pasteurized beer
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:39:45 pm »
I think the key is having fresh yeast and sufficient sugars.  Making a large starter and immediately pitching and then bottling should work, but with that large of an addition, I would be concerned with the flavor being affected.  It may not be a problem, though, and with it being infected, your options are fewer.  I would probably opt for a gentle transfer of the fermented beer onto the starter in the bottling bucket, rather than a violent dumping of the starter wort into the fermenter, but that is just me and a concern over oxidation - active yeast should prevent that from being a problem, so YMMV.  Good luck!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 02:32:48 pm »
I think maybe pasteurizing it and then adding both priming sugar and a few granules of dry yeast to each bottle would work. Of course this assumes the beer is fermented out.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Beernado

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:38:50 am »
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the starter idea. I'll post again if it fails horribly.  ;)

Offline WhiteHausBrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:35 am »
Interested to hear how this goes. Good luck!

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:17:56 am »
Infections don't like the cold.  Maybe all you need to do is package it as normal, then as soon as it carbonates, keep it all cold.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.