Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flying with capped bottles  (Read 2854 times)

Offline jrector

• 1st Kit
Flying with capped bottles
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:24:58 pm »
I have a "wine suitcase" (Brand - VinGardeValise) that holds 8 750ml bottles in separate compartments that has worked great flying with wine in the checked bag cargo hold. I've bottled a brew in 750ml sparkling wine bottles that take a standard beer bottle cap. The glass is very heavy but my worry is about the caps leaking at flying altitude. Anyone have experience with this? Don't want them leaking or worse, popping off. Kind of wish I'd used swing tops.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Flying with capped bottles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:41:00 pm »
Keep in mind that the cargo hold is pressurized.  There's no reason they should leak.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 09:21:05 pm »
I have flown with commercial 12 ounce beer bottles in checked luggage. I had no leaks.

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:26:40 pm »
Every time I come back from Europe my suitcase is full of bottles wrapped in clothes. Haven't lost one yet.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 09:32:39 pm »
Keep in mind that the cargo hold is pressurized.  There's no reason they should leak.

They are usually pressurized to the equivalent of about 8000 feet altitude, as I understand it. That is perhaps a bit uncomfortable for some people but should be OK for capped bottles, bags of snack food packed at sea level, bottles of shampoo, etc. I usually bag or double-bag all liquid containers in zip-top bags just in case. I arrived in France once with a suitcase filled with clothes soaked in shampoo. Not fun.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 06:32:54 am »

They are usually pressurized to the equivalent of about 8000 feet altitude, as I understand it. That is perhaps a bit uncomfortable for some people but should be OK for capped bottles, bags of snack food packed at sea level, bottles of shampoo, etc. I usually bag or double-bag all liquid containers in zip-top bags just in case. I arrived in France once with a suitcase filled with clothes soaked in shampoo. Not fun.
The cabin and cargo area are at the same pressure. The pressure is usually equivalent to 6000 to 8000 ft elevation, depending on the airplane.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jrector

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 07:31:46 am »
Thanks everyone. In my mind and reason for the question was remembering how in Lake Tahoe (6000-7000 ft above sea level) the snack bags are always puffed out to the max. I'll take some precautions, should be good.